Help With Hobart Cybertig

Hello, I have a Hobart Cybertig 300. A couple of years ago it started running wide open on amperage. It runs the maximum on low, med, or high range.

The potentiometer does nothing to control it and I tried it with and with out the pedal hooked up.

The Gater board was sent to Innovat for repair and they said it was ok.

Any help would be appreciated.

JAckal

Reply to
JAckal

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 19:51:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous JAckal scrawled the following:

Sounds like a shorted pot or pedal. Is that pot on the Gater board or external to it? (Hopefully external since Innovat cleared the board.) Can you borrow another pedal to see if it controls the juice?

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0-- Clarence Darrow

Yeah the pot is separate, I unhooked the pedal and check it . It is OK. I put the dummy plug in the front so it would have panel control.Pot is ok too.

Jackal

Reply to
JAckal

I helped a friend trouble shoot a Airco Tig welder. Not sure who really made the welder, I do not think that Airco manufactured it. It also had a low, medium, and high range and was running the maximum on all ranges. The control on it used a saturable reactor . The control board controled a Triac which was mounted next to the control board. We decided that the triac had failed as a short. So there was maximum current to the saturable reactor.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:06:38 -0800 (PST), the infamous JAckal scrawled the following:

OK, so if it's not in either control, and it's not in the gate board, then it must be in your wiring. Are you sure that there are no extra controls or jumpers anywhere (y'know, like a thumb control ready to reach out and bite your hand? ) and that the jumpers installed are absolutely in the correct position? DAMHIKT

Hmm...Is this the same machine you had the same trouble with 2 years ago?

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0-- Clarence Darrow

Yes Larry,That is it. The same machine. I never got it fixed and really don't want to scrap it out. I have a Lincoln Tig that I am using at the moment.

I am starting to get some time available, so this would be something to look into with fresh eyes.

Dan, I am not familiar with a saturable reactor or triac. I 'll look it up on the internet. I have a PDF file of it if you would like for me to send it to you.

I was tig welding one day, and it started running wide open. First thing I thought was the pedal. After taking the pedal apart I found nothing and went from there.

Thanks, JAckal

Reply to
JAckal