Hobart CyberTig foot pedal problems

I have this Hobart CyberTig:

It has two Amphenol connectors, the big fat one for pendant and a 10 pin one for foot pedal.

I bought a 10 pin foot pedal off ebay. Unfortunately, both the foot pedal as well as my connector on the welder, were male. I bought a 10 pin Amphenol socket, wrote down the current pinout, and unsoldered old plug and re-soldered the wires to the new socket. I wrote down the exact pinout, etc etc. I double checked things numerous times.

The trouble is that the pedal seems to have no effect whatsoever. The valves do not "click", etc.

Before I go on an all out troubleshooting effort, perhaps someone could point out something obvious that I am missing. I can supply pictures of the pedal or the welder etc.

Ignoramus4939

From a quick look at the schematics in your manual it looks like that 10 pin connector isn't for the remote control. Based on what I found there it's for a special "dabber" torch (what ever that is).

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

I suspect that you may be right. Do you think that I can fit that pedal to the 19 pin pendant connector? (either by re-soldering or getting a new connector, I would prefer the latter to keep the pendant

100% functional) i
Reply to
Ignoramus4939

I'm sure it can be done but my quick browse through the manual showed me that you might not manage to get all of the features available on that plug to work.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Thanks. I spent a while thinking about these two pages in the manual, today. I will think more and probably will get a new amphenol plug and try to connect it to the foot pedal, sparing the existing pendant. That way I will have at least one thing that works.

Ignoramus4939

Could it be both male male had the male pinout not the female pinout - mirror image ?

Ignoramus4939 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

No, I thnk that Wayne is right, the top connector (10 pin) is not for the pedal.

I just tried your suggestion.

Ignoramus4939

My Cybertig 2, has a female 10 pin for the foot pedal. I breadboarded up a pot and swtich and simply stuck the wires into the proper holes to test the machine.

I wish someone would give me $200 for this thing. Currently its stored outside.and winter is coming.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

It should sell on ebay for at least $100.

Ignoramus26745

snipped>>

Snipped

what would shipping to st pete FL cost ? as long as I can ask all the Iggy questions too :) ducking !

sounds like what I need to brush up on skills I learned almost 30 years ago :) Marc

Reply to
Marc

It may not necessarily cost as much as you suspect it could. Call Freightquote. Try Frank, Freightquote.com, 800-323-5441x1386, say that Igor from Algebra Inc referred you (I get no commission on this, just a matter of being nice). Also check out AAA Cooper, they had fantastic rates recently. You may get a huge variation in quoted rates.

You also would get a good discount if this item could be dropped off at the shipper's terminal and picked up at a terminal also.

I personally love my Cyber Tig dearly. It's a real thing. Not sure if Gunner's is the same as mine, looks like his is a different model.

Ignoramus26745

Gunners has a slightly different control drawer but has most of the functions that yours has just in a different layout. His is also a much bigger welder with a lot more amps available (of course that means it needs more input).

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Its about 600 lbs..give or take.

Gunner

At full out put of 675 amps..its rated at 105 input amps...of 3 phase.

A 10hp RPC will run it at normal welding amps.

Gunner

Gunner