Hoist rail pics

Someone on the group, Mark, I think, asked me for pics of my present hoist rail in my old shop. This link is to a few, but the lighting in the old shop is not so great these days, since I'm saving my cash for the new shop. OK to work in, but not for pics. It also shows the vent hood for my welding table. Note the PVC piping that will not be in my new shop. I'm one of the ones who had an incident with it exploding.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Thanks!

Details? PVC & explosions are a frequent topic at rec.woodworking.

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

I was hammering on a nearby ceiling joist, when a vertical run of PVC exploded just a foot from my face. Luckily, the shards never hit me directly. The particular piece was a piece of thinner wall that a helper used when he ran out of the thick stuff, but that was enough for me. Something different going in the new shop.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

What is the length of the I beam? How much deflection do you have when the trolley is dead center and you have a 750lb load?

Nice job, BTW.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

Your old shop looks alot like my dream shop.

Reply to
Steve Peterson

--We gotta get you a better flash attachment! Nice!

Reply to
steamer

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I just want to know how you "hoisted" the hoist up there?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

If you run the pix through an editor (e.g., Photoshop) and "Brighten" them, they are much clearer. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 10:15:29 -0500, "Backlash" brought forth from the murky depths:

You couldn't afford to put in 3 new bulbs and make it a bit brighter in there, RJ?

Is that a welding vent hood or forge vent?

The body shop I worked in (as a wrench) had all PVC piping and when it got hit, it simply broke. Nobody was ever impaled by any flying pieces, but it sure was LOUD! I wouldn't use PVC now, but it worked fine @ 110psi for the 5 years we were in the new buildings.

It looks like it could handle more than half a ton. Have you ever been tempted to try? Are those HFT overhead trolleys?

40493?

Speaking of hoisty thangs, I need to mount that pickup truck crane in my pickemup one of these fine (coming) spring days. I think it's been in my shop for 9 months now.

============================================================ Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!

Hilarious T-shirts online ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Tested it by picking up the front end of a '66 Impala, clear of the floor. It's been quite a while, but I think the deflection was about 1/8". It has a mating member running along the tops of the trusses' lower chords. For heavier loads, I use a pair of stiff knees with hydraulic jacks under them on each side of the load. Loaded a 2,000 pound punch press like this.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Thanks, Steve I take that as a supreme compliment, seeing how it all was under 5 feet of water in '99

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

The beam is supported every two feet between trusses with rods running up into the attic. These rods run through timber sandwiching the trusses between the hoist beam and the clamping beam. The pull is also at the lower flange of the beam.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Hehe, I was waiting for that one. I buy and sell utility type items such as tools and equipment to support my habit (shop). At the time of the shop construction, I had a duct hoist used for raising sheet metal ductwork into place in commercial buildings. It used a winch and cable system for hoisting. Me cranking, along with a pair of friends balancing, put it smoothly into position. I raised another one for an employee of mine by welding tapped round stock slugs of 1 1/2" diameter on top of the beam. We hole sawed 2" holes in his plywood ceiling, then used 4 runs of threaded rod in short sections linked together by long hex connector nuts, to wind it upwards into place, removing the individual pieces in the attic as we went. The lengths of rod were alternated to allow removing them section at a time while still controlling the load. Used ratcheting box end wrenches. Slow work, but safe and absolute. High strength rods hung the beam in the end.

I'll see if I have a pic somewhere of that one as well.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Here's the pic of the rail system I did for my employee. It was 18 feet long, 3" by 6" monorail.

OK, I'll be ready for the inevitable questions on this one

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Tres cool. What size is the I-beam?

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

The beam is 3" by 6" 'I' beam, 3/16" web. Don't remember the weight per foot. I beam has sloped flanges, H beam or W beam does not Trolleys are usually designed to be run on sloped flanges. Trolleys came from a friend who's a used industrial equipment salvage yard operator. Last I beam I priced new about 2 years ago was a little over a $100 for a 20 foot stick. It is absolutely the best money I have EVER spent in any shop I have had. I'm on my 4th one. The new shop will be designed around the beam and it's uses.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Duhhh. forgot the link. Here it is..

Also, a pic of the Corian topped workbench I recently constructed out of the Craftsman work centers on sale at Christmas.

RJ

rec.woodworking.

Reply to
Backlash

Larry, it's not just the bulbs. Those damn fixtures play musical lights with me. Sometimes all on, sometimes 4 on. That shop will probably get sold to the neighbor next door to it, or it will be used by me for dead storage. Either way, right now, no more than I can get down there to work, It will have to do. All monies will be needed for restoration of the forklift and the new shop, and then some.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Larry asked "Is that a welding vent hood or forge vent?" It's a welding vent hood located above a 4' X 8' welding table.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash