How to post with screen name and without email address showing

I joined this group and used a garbage email address since the warning when I joined said my email would show. I followed the instructions,
even put in a 'nickname' and sure enough - my email address is my name when I post, nmot my nickname i supplied. . But I notice many posters have a nickname and not their email showing when they post. How is that done?
It appears that you are using Mozilla. Got to 'account settings' for your news server, set the 'email address' to whatever junk you choose. done.
snipped-for-privacy@mypacks.net wrote:

2007 00:02:21 GMT, RoyJ wrote:

Thanbks for suggestion, but No, I am using IE...perhaps i should be using Firefox / mozilla..? I have looked around in IE internet options, and in my account settings here, - still can't seem to get my 'username' to be anything other than a valid email address...but others do it. ...but then sometimes I can be blind... I just get infuriated when my accounts get loaded wihth spam so I would like to not have a posted name so close to a working email aaddress
snipped-for-privacy@mypacks.net wrote:

I post using ny real name and real e-mail address all the time and almost never get any spam, presumably because I'm using isp.com and they have really great spam filters. Costs $8.95/mo for internet connection. Committees of Correspondence Web page:- tinyurl.com/y7th2c
RoyJ wrote:

He is posting through Google, his browser has nothing to do with it. Somewhere, in his goofle account there is a place to change the screen name.
prove it.
no, google forces you to use a legit email address - that's why I use a different service - I happen to use teranews (www.teranews.com) which offers an account that meets my needs for a one time $4 or therabouts setup fee and no monthly charge - soem folks hate it, but it's generally met my needs.

William Noble wrote:

That has nothing to do with YOUR SCREEN NAME.
prove it.
Using IE Menu ->Tools ->Accounts -> (select news account) -> Properties (General) , set user Name

If you go to Yahoo, and establish a (or couple of) free email account(s), the Yahoo webmail will keep spam from getting to your ISP mail account. When nuisance mail is directed away from your ISP mail account, your ISP mail can be used for your personal mail (as it was intended).
When you have a Yahoo mail account, you can let crap accumulate there and ignore all of it, until you decide to discard it (the Empty Bulk Folder is one simple mouse click). You can't depend on companies to not share or sell your email address to other companies, so I use one Yahoo mail for subscribing, warranty registrations, rebates, and other similar uses (Enco, Staples etc). When creating/using Yahoo mail, set your preferences settings to limit extra crap.
I didn't get a high amount of crap mail when I used Goog for news (for about a year), although it depends a lot on where/which groups you're posting messages to. When I used Goog for news, the email address I used was a Yahoo mail address, so nearly all of the crap was sent to the Bulk Folder instantly by Yahoo's filters.
As Bill N mentioned, the free Teranews service seems to be a reliable newsfeed, I've been using it for a couple of months without any major problems.
WB metalworking projects http://www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html ...........

Thank you all for responses. Your suggestions and my sussing of the problem have led me to conclusion that this is more complex than I originaly thought. My apologies for starting a non-metal discussion. I work in the computer business for a very conservative gov contrator, and all my computers are inside their LAN - with corporate versions of IE and MS Outlook etc..and special options/protections. We are technicalyl forbidden from using newsgroups, Instant messaging, and more. I have no IE->tools->accounts tab. In IE->tools->Internet options->programs->Newsgroups - I see Outlook Express set as my newsgroup reader and I can not change that as newgroup reader. To change the settings in Outlook Express interferes with the our required corporate MS Outlook mail reader.I don't want to push the corporate IT folks anymore than I already do... So I will live with my name being a non-important email address - they are easy to create - and so far no issues anyhow...and if spam does become an issue - I'll use something like the Teranews suggestion..thanks again all

woops .... boo boo. I meant in Outlook. Good to see I am human after all and can make mistakes