How to tell a wing nut from an acorn nut

I'm only familiar with "JAM" nuts and "CASTLE" nuts. I see "WING" nuts come in Left and Right hand thread.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And Acorn nuts have pointy little heads. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ALL nuts come in left or right hand threads.

Reply to
clare

Castle nut vs. slotted nut: anyone know of the application where a castle nut would be preferred? It seems harder to make without any advantage.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Not true! I have seen plenty with no threads!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 26 Feb 2012

12:45:47 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Bare naked nuts? Yoiks, that is scary.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

It's really irritating. You reach in the box and get a nut, work it into a very tight place and try to start the threads only rto find that it won't. You work it back out, and see that it was never tapped. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Or grab a bolt only to discover that those neatly spaced grooves are exactly ninety degrees to the axis of the shaft.

Reply to
grmiller

You install those with a New York Screwdriver (hammer)

I learned that from a Broadway stage hand.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Naw, you give it back to the storekeeper of the shop from who youscrounged it in the first place so that he can blackmail the suppliers agent into a coupla "freeby" boxes so you can continue to scrounge for personal use.

Reply to
grmiller

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 27 Feb 2012

00:34:30 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Give me a call, I have some bolts that weren't tapped ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Thise are called 'Pins' :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

(...)

I had some taps, but they bolted.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Their lunch, or did they actually book?

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I dunno, but either way, it turned out nutty because I felt washed up and screwed.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 29 Feb 2012

01:45:26 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Not these. These are obviously flat head machine screws - with no threads! The joys of working in a hardware store.

Goes in the collection with the 303 round with the primer loaded in "backwards".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Shank you for clarifying that.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

damn, another OT thread

Reply to