Inline coolant filter?

"Guv Bob" fired this volley in news:Y_udnTlDVMrQehnOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

It sounds to me like it would clog up in mere minutes!

I have the top 1/3 of a 5-gallon plastic bucket with a 20-mesh SS screen "ironed" to the bottom as my coolant filter. Nothing larger than about

0.038" ever gets back into the sump. (opening size is always smaller than mesh size).

A centrifugal pump won't bitch about 0.038" solids, and if any small chips accumulate in the coolant flow valve, you can just momentarily open it all the way to clear those.

Total cost, about $9.00.

Maybe AFTER the screen, then you could use a finer filter...

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I figgered some of you fellers might something like this on a machine coolant. Has anyone ever installed a coolant filter in an auto radiator hose and had good luck with it? They use them in diesels and antique cars.

These are 2 that I found online. Don't no nuthin about 'em except they are both $70. That's a little high to try something out. I would go for it if it were in the $20-30 range.

Tefba Inline Radiator Coolant Filter

Unscrew the top and change the filter element without having to break the line.

Clear plastic sounds like a good idea but I would probably go with the metal housing.

I don't know the filter rating for these two, but this feller (below) says 200 micron (77 mesh) is fine enough. A human hair is about 70 microns.

"It only needs to filter particles of about 200 microns (0.0078 inch) and larger in size. Filters that trap extremely small particles are not necessary and are more likely to restrict flow to the point of overheating." From "Repeat Component Failure Requires Heroic Efforts" By Kevin S. McCartney

Guv Bob

I have a inline filter with a transparent bowl, that I use for coolant, it works great.

Ignoramus24415

Thanks. Is it in your car or shop?

Reply to
Guv Bob

Is this for a vehicle or machine coolant?

For machine coolant I use an ordinary household 9" filter sump with the basic 5 micron sediment filters and it works well. You mostly filter chips and they don't clog it readily, and the household filters handle plenty of GPM.

For vehicle coolant there are a lot of options, but you have to be careful which you select as some intended for semis and the like include SCA (supplemental coolant additive) tablets in them which are not appropriate for smaller engines.

Reply to
Pete C.

shop

Reply to
Ignoramus24415

In a machine shop where I worked, the boss had set up all the grinders with a common 'sock' filter just strapped onto the suction hose for the pump.

Worked fine.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

machine coolant. Has anyone ever installed a coolant filter in an auto radiator hose and had good luck with it? They use them in diesels and antique cars.

they are both $70. That's a little high to try something out. I would go for it if it were in the $20-30 range.

the metal housing.

(below) says 200 micron (77 mesh) is fine enough. A human hair is about

70 microns.

inch) and larger in size. Filters that trap extremely small particles are not necessary and are more likely to restrict flow to the point of overheating."

I'm looking at installing something like one of those in old cars that I buy and fix up. Some of these take a lot of flushing and never do get all the solids out. I figure I would install one and check it ever week or so and get them back on the road sooner.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Many or even most machine coolant pumps have a submerged impeller assembly with no suction hose, which means filtering is generally done on the output side. The $20 household filter sumps work well and since the chips can typically just be cleaned out of the housing and rinsed off the filter cartridge, the filter cartridge lasts a long time. I looked at mesh strainer assemblies intended for crop sprayers and they cost more and wouldn't work any better.

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:53854e66$0$58330 $ snipped-for-privacy@ngroups.net:

Yeah... I should have said 'return hose'. He had a separate pump basin well below the chip/coolant pan.

For certain, his filter was on the return side.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

In my case, I have to worry about temperature and pressure, and not a whole lot of space under the hood. Ideally it would be good to filter it just before going into the radiator, but probably not that practical.

Now I'm thinking about diverting the heater inlet hose to a large container down below and then back up to the heater. Make the container volume as large as there is room for to let the coolant slow down and drop out the heavier solids. That might be good enough and avoid having to use a filter.

Reply to
Guv Bob