Some of you might like this - Drill Press Multi-Tapping

Technically, I think this is Bridgeport tapping and not drill press tapping, but you'll understand what I mean when you see the video.

This is something we do on a regular basis these days. Back before Teranews stopped allowing me to access this group (now fixed), I was posting about how we were hoping to develop this and asking lots of questions.

Truth is, this customer had problems blowing up their Tapmatic tapping head in this set-up and this is the video showing how the perform the process. Our guess is the end user is doing it properly for this video but might have been using a different "technique" of pulling that feed arm or even using power feed when not on camera...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

You are exceeding the torque factor that the tapmatic clutch mechanism was originally engineered for by a factor of 500%

In other words, upon unit failure, really nobody to blame but yourself....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

...Ya gotta have a little more faith in us.

Your assumption is an incorrect assumption. Here's why:

  1. The SPD series has no clutch mechanism.
  2. The SPDx head that is provided is sized appropriately for the multi-tap load. In fact, we over-size them by a factor of at least 1.5 to make sure that the internals can take the load without a problem.
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Baloney, there is a pair of dog clutches and a planetary geartrain.

Yet, you are still having problems.....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Those are engagement cogs. Clutches require slip. there is no slip in an SPD3,5,7 or 9 series head. Only "clicking" as the clutches engage and disengage.

They are rated for the full load that the head is capable of unless there is less than full engagement of those cogs.

Haven't heard from them in quite a while so I'll resume we were *having* problems in the past tense...

We've sold multiplied dozens of these set-ups. I wouldn't be in business if we didn't properly size the tapping head. ...If you call Tapmatic and ask them about multiple spindle tapping, you'll be saying hello to me a few minutes later per their referral. Try it if you don't believe me.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Ill bet he simply hates it when you give him a reality check.

Ive seen Joe's products and they work as advertised.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

No, clutches do not require slip.

They are dog clutches, Joe.

Look it up....

...LOL...

If it's "clicking" you are NOT getting "full" engagement...

What are you doing about gear-train-wind-up and the subsequent accumulated backlash that gets taken up at your outer spindles when the unit reverses ?

--your torque more than likely through the roof during the withdrawal phase, and I've little doubt that your outer spindes typically produce oversized threads as a result.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Thanks Gunner. Appreciated.

Flashback... Look, I called them clutches! LOL.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill