Interesting cold saw problem

But that depends on the application. In some applications, machines can be destroyed if the motors are run backwards. Can machines for one.
Small machines are made to show which phase is which. When it counts, Masters take place and the journey men step back.
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Shawn wrote:

    There are some devices which can be damaged by reversed phase sequence -- *immediately* damaged, not "if you run it that way for ten minutes".
    So -- there are devices to check phase sequence to make sure that you have it connected right *before* you turn on the switch.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Just a little update on the cold saw. The owner of it told me that he took apart the pump and found out that the filter was clogged. Unclogging it took care of the problem, at least for now.
Ignoramus27711 wrote:

WhooHoo!
--Winston

I have nothing to add to the other posters advice about the pump. However, I don't think there is any standardization for phase sequencing or rotation between different systems. So, how the previous owner had the saw wired has no bearing on how it will rotate when it is connected someplace else. As far as I have been able to learn, you always have to check rotation when connecting a 3 phase motor regardless of how it was previously connected. Of course if both motors are three phase one might rotate correctly and the other incorrectly if the internal machine wiring is incorrect.
Don Young

Most of the cold saws I have seen have a diaphragm pump working off an eccentric spot on the blade drive shaft. They are notorious for clogging up with rubbish on the intake side or getting a little flake of swarf under th intake valve. They will pump happily independantly of the direction of rotation. . Take off the inlet line at the pump and blow a bit of compressed air through it. If that doesn't fix it, then blow the air through from the tank end of the hose. This may dislodge what ever is under the valve. The valves are usually removeable, so you may be able to unscrew the cap over the valve and clean it out. Careful, though, ther is a spring in there that will jump out and roll under your milling machine if it gets a chance. If that doesn't work, then panic.