Interesting Primer on Gear Tooth Shapes

I ran across this page through following a Yahoo hobby newsgroup on wooden clock mechanisms. It's a nicely done page with animation, and while it's aimed at showing hobbyists how to make low friction wooden gearing, it helped refresh my memory about gear tooth forms. See:

I've only made one wooden clock. Photos are at:

Happy Holidays guys,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

VERY interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Lewis Campbell

Thanks Jeff. This one is a keeper. The wife is into collecting clocks and has a collection of about 100. Included is a wooden geared grandfather clock from the late 1800's that needs to be restored. The gears have all their teeth so no need to make new ones, but the case needs some TLC.

Bernd

Reply to
Bernd