Lathe rebuild

I never knew the space bar did that. I've always used "Page Down" and "Page Up".

I just figured out that backspace does the opposite, too. Cool!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Dare I also suggest that many (possibly most) of the things for which JavaScript is used could better be achieved in other ways?

It's not in the same category as Flash, but it is used excessively and often makes browsing the web slower.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Have you been in a cave for the past 3-4 years maybe? Opera lost the advertisements around that long ago ;-)

You really should get out more Larry. Maybe you have been spending too much time perusing Usenet groups...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Having now checked it out (after verifying that I could traceroute to the site, since I have a lot of .br blocked), I agree. There was absolutely nothing in there which should require Flash to display. Plain HTML would suffice for the while thing.

And this is the first site which I have found which required Flash, but did *not* require JavaScript at the same time.

But what in the world is an English-language only lens review doing in a site in Brazil?

And that seems to happen when Flash starts.

:-)

I wonder whether it would work with Opera if I turned on either "Identify as Explorer" or "Mask as Explorer". (I'm not sure what the distinction is, but both are there.)

That was some time ago. They long ago went to fully free for everyone, with no ads.

With the early versions -- you could select remove (and thus variable) ads, or compiled-in ads (a much smaller list), and since I sometimes used it purely for local access, I went for the compiled-in ones because it took forever to start up while it was vainly trying to access remote ads.

I think that they make their money off other products now.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
[ ... ]

I agree totally. That is why JavaScript is turned off by default on my browser -- and only turned on if *I* decide that what is there might be worth the risk.

And one of the major offenders is eBay.

But for a while a web comic ("The Mows" about cats) could *only* be viewed with Flash and JavaScript enabled. Thank goodness that they have stopped that. I couldn't find a way to e-mail the author (who was trying to push his Flash skills to potential purchasers -- and eliminating a certain percentage of his audience).

And -- of course -- Flash keeps getting updated, requiring a newer plugin -- and the availability of the newer plugin for systems like Solaris on SPARC systems is well delayed after the introduction of the new Flash and the new plugins for Windows (and perhaps the Mac).

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"Identify as Explorer" still has Opera in the ID. It will fool many sites though. "Mask as Explorer" removes all traces of Opera from the browser ID. You can only set the latter individually for each site. The first Identify choice can be set globally until you change it to something else.

Even if you set Opera to "Mask as Explorer" there are other ways a site can still figure out that you are using Opera if it tries hard enough. The only surefire way is to use a local proxy to change the string.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

It's plain weird. I can only think that the guy got a piece of free software which makes web pages using Flash. Otherwise, it makes no sense.

Still, I shouldn't be too hard on the guy. We all have to start somewhere.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

His images also need a touch of sharpening after resizing.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:15:30 +0000, the infamous Christopher Tidy scrawled the following:

Hmm, it doesn't for me in Firefox. Backspace on a second or further page acts as a back button in the browser.

I love keyboard shortcuts and use every one I can find. I've been doing that since moving up to Micro$oft Windows 3.0 from DOS.

And since I use a Logitech Portable Trackman trackball, I don't have a wheel for paging up and down. I can use this thing in my lap, on an chair arm, etc. It's truly portable with the thumb-activated ball.

or the IBM versions I found for $3 apiece the last time I needed a new one
. No more carpal problems or knotted levator!

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 15:35:28 -0400, the infamous Leon Fisk scrawled the following:

I fell in love with Mozilla and stopped looking around at other browsers. So sue me.

Verily, Leon.

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:00:36 +0000, the infamous Christopher Tidy scrawled the following:

Windows XP Home/FF 2.0.0.17 here. Does anyone else on a different platform find different behavior? Please pipe up.

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well it does on Firefox 2.0.0.3 for Solaris SPARC, which is what I'm using.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I've had the same symptom/problem with Opera. It runs pretty decent on old hardware, which is what I have. The last I heard Mozilla would be a no-go on NT4 (shrug). Trying to learn a different/new product can be frustrating too.

I just couldn't resist tugging on your chain a little :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:16:45 -0400, the infamous Leon Fisk scrawled the following:

You would!

I choose to dislike companies who heap spam'n'ads on their "free" offerings, so Opera and I never got along.

I upgraded to Firefox 3 and immediately went back to 2. They broke the history and bookmark features in the new model, and TinyURL wasn't yet updated for 3, so I hated it almost as much as Opera. ;)

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I paid for it several times, no ads that way. Originally it was only available in paid form, the ads came later in hopes that more people would give it a go. It is one of the best apps I've ever ponied up for.

Opera makes browsers for phones and other embedded applications now. I gather that this is their bread & butter money. The desktop versions give them a fertile testing area for stuff.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

[ ... ]

I get page-up from backspace in Opera 9.60 on SPARC running Solaris 10.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:51:40 -0400, the infamous Leon Fisk scrawled the following:

Bbbut, browsers should be free (it says here in the fine print.)

My favorite paid apps are NoteTabPro (text editor for hand-coded website design), WSFTP Pro, and Forte Agent newsreader.

On the higher end, Adobe Studio CS and Corel Draw get the nod.

On the Open Source end, OpenOffice is one fine prog.