Lathe vs milling machine

I've got a horizontal (Burke) and a vertical/horizontal (centec). It's nice to have both. If I had room for only one mill, I'd keep the vertical/horizontal. One of the nice features of this mill is that you have something set up on the table and you don't want to move and reposition the work. for example, having machined the top you want to do side and then drill some holes in the side and top, say. The vertical/horizontal is the best of both worlds.
Boris
------------------------------------- Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting 1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance
TEL: 215-572-5580 FAX: 215-886-0144 Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

My Rockwell is also a combo machine. My problem is that removing the vertical head to install the overarm is a royal pain. Stub arbors work for many jobs though. chuck
On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:59:34 +0000, Chuck Sherwood wrote:

I don't own one, but this is why I like the Van Norman millers so much (or at least the *idea* of one). I've got a Hardinge miller with the vertical head, and it too is a pain in the butt to install and remove. I find it easier to just turn my mind sideways and mount drill bits or end mills in a collet in the spindle.
I've got a nice big chunk of 1" steel plate and one day I'll find time to saw it in half and weld it into an angle plate.
On 11 Aug 2005 18:45:51 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@w-sherwood.ih.lucent.com (Chuck Sherwood) wrote:

Ok...if we are mentioning other stuff....
Logan 8" shaper Covell 6x12 surface grinder Covell 5x18 OD grinder Ramco 8x18 surface grinder (2) Boyer Shultz 6-18 surface grinders (anyone want a fixer upper?) Darex M500 drill shapener Darex Endmill sharpener Baldor cutter tool grinder Taiwanese version of the Baldor Cutter Tool grinder (not chinese) Various Baldor grinders Craftsman grinder BurrKing 2" belt sander HTH 6x48 x12 belt.disk sander Delta 1x42 belt sander Homemade 1x42 belt sander Porter Cable 4x48" belt sander
Chicom roller/shear/brake Diacro finger break (in my trailer at the moment..needs work) Diacro 6" power notcher (for sale) 52" Pexto hydraulic shear (16 ga..for sale) Compact bender 15 ton press tiny 3 ton press 20 ton press with bad seals
Lincoln Weldpak 100 Mig Dan-Mig 200 amp Mig Lincoln Tig 250/250 Airco Squarewave 300 tig Miller Dialarc 250 stick welder Marquette 110vt stick welder Century 250 stick welder (out on loan)
(2) Buffalo #18 drill presses (for sale) (1) 1/2" Delta Rockwell drill press (1) 3/4" Rockwell drill press (1) Taiwanese 1/2" drill press (1) 3/8" Harbor Freight table top drill press (1) Pratt & Whitney (Cameron?) double headed 1/8" sensitive drill press unit (two seperate sensitive drill presses on the same frame) for sale
Oh..and 2 Foredoms
I know Im missing something....
Gunner
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner wrote:

I could use a surface grinder project, but I suspect getting it to TX would not be cost effective.
Pete C.

Road trip. And access to the Stacks of Stuff.
Gunner
The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner wrote:

Would be quite a trip, particularly in the truck that gets 11 MPG by itself, or about 9.5 MPG pulling the 24' cargo trailer. Doing brakes and shocks on the truck this weekend actually.
Pete C.

Texas to California is not very far, I have to drive the equivalent of San Diego to El Paso just to get out of W Oz and somewhere near New Orleans to get to Adelaide, the next state capital city. I would love to come visit, just the whole of Oz and a big ocean in between. ( and an empty wallet ! ) Alan in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz, South 32.25.42, East 115.45.44 GMT+8 VK6 YAB ICQ 6581610 to reply, change oz to au in address
snipped-for-privacy@iinet.net.oz wrote:

The $800-$900 in gas and 3-4 days time for me to go RT to visit Gunner would mean I'd have to get quite a few tools at really good prices to make it cost effective. I did essentially the same trip in the other direction last year (TX - CT - TX) and it's quite a haul (have to do it again too).
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

My dad - 85 he is - drove Phoenix to Ok to TX (my house) to Tenn, NC, to MASS, to Maine and then reversed the trip. Had to visit family here there and around and friends and naturally had not visited Maine so he and his brother did.
I hope to be in as good a shape at his age.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
snip-----

MASS, to Maine and

friends
Way cool!
Harold

Showoff!
Gunner wrote:

Ok, if Gunner is gonna play, I call End of Game!
Sheesh <G>

    O.K. -- I'll play too. I only mentioned the power tools for metalworking before. I'll just add the things that I can remember that I skipped.

    Dumore drill sharpener -- covers #70 through 1/4".

    A couple of bench grinders, one antique 6", and a much more recent Jet 8".
    DeWalt angle grinder
    Air driven die grinders, drills and wrenches.
    [ ... ]

    DiAcro 24" finger break.

    No-name 6" notcher.

    Small DiAcro shear -- 10" I think.

    3-ton and 1/2 ton arbor presses.

    My only welding gear is the blade welder for the bandsaw blades.
    Hmm ... I also forgot the MSC version of the $200.00 H/V     bandsaw, and a three-wheel bandsaw by Emco-Maier.

    Hmm ... did P&W originally make the Cameron line? Or did they re-brand something built from two Camerons?

    One Foredom (ancient), and one Dremel flex shaft tool
    One variable-speed dremel.

    As do I.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 12 Aug 2005 19:58:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Nice!
Those kinds of tools too?
B&D Professional angle grinder (2) Orange Harbor Freight angle grinders Millwalkee 9" angle grinder (Grant Erwin got the Skill)

Same here <G>

Ive got 3 blade welders..none work worth a shit.

Hummmm Emerson 7x12 horizontal bandsaw Dayton 7x12 horizontal bandsaw Walker Turner 16" variable speed verticle bandsaw Jet? 6 wheel bandsaw (very small, will 6x6, when it doesnt throw the blades...sigh.

No idea, but its really quite cute. Share a common cast iron table about 6x10 or so.

I left out the Ryobi (dremel type) and a very very old hand grinder..cant remember the name. I think there is a Dremel flex shaft in there, oh! and a Dumore flex shaft, which Ive not checked out yet.

...lets not start on comparing tooling..there are bandwidth issues.....
<G>
Gunner

    [ ... ]

    Aha! Something which got your attention. :-)
    [ ... ]

    *Six* wheel? I find that one difficult to imagine. :-)

    Can you put up a photo on the dropbox? Direct e-mail of photos will fail, because they will be above the trap size (30K) for potential viruses.
    I really like the single-column Cameron, and might be interesteed in the double-column one for certain types of operations. (Depending on cost, among other things.) At least, shipping should not be a killer for that one.
    [ ... ]

    O.K. How about interesting measuring tools? :-)
    In particular, a micrometer mated with a tiny sine bar for measuring angles. (Other things, like the V-anvil ones are easier to find.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
On 13 Aug 2005 17:40:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

I had to load it with a fork lift...so its probably P&W origin. They loved cast iron....<G>

OOOO...nice. I do need a simple tubing mic if you ever stumble across a spare....

Gunner

    [ ... ]

    Ouch! All of the metal castings on the Cameron (at least mine) are aluminum. It might be that the deep throat version has a cast iron baseplate.
    [ ... ]

    I don't have one of my own, either. However, if you get a multi-anvil micrometer (interchangeable flat and rod anvils), the rod anvil will work quite well as a tubing micrometer. (It also works nicely as a 0-1" height gauge, with the anvil removed entirely.)
    My multi-anvil came without a flat anvil, but I so far have not needed that.
    Also, you can get one of the slip-on 0.250" balls in a collar to measure the wall thickness of tubing -- at least in the 0-0.750" range -- with one of those.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
snip-----

Yep, and it's more than adequate, particularly for those of us that have a limited amount of money to spend. I've owned the attachment about as long as I've been in the trade. Can't see tying up money on a tube mic when it wouldn't get much use.
Harold

it
I should have commented further. The balls sold by Starrett are not .250" diameter, but .200". They do come in two different sized housings, however, to accommodate different anvil sizes. The smaller ball (in lieu of the .250" mentioned by DoN) give you a slightly larger range with a 1" mic, .000" to .800", plus the cheat when you get over .800". The added bonus is that the micrometer is direct reading, taking the .200" into account.
Harold