Lathe vs milling machine

Mine wont pump up, and when I help it, it bleeds off quickly. Did you do it yourself or have it done?

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Get both. I got a horizontal mill first because I found it first. Then I got a B/port. The B/port gets more use but the horizontal has paid for itself over & over, esp when I want to make some gears or cut deep narrow slots. a 1/16" slitting saw is incomparably more rigid than a

1/16" slot drill.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

Yeah, I got that.......

Colchester Chipmaster lathe, Emco Maximat 11 lathe, Smith-Drum sliding bed lathe.

30x8 horizontal mill and 42x9 B/port mill. The horizontal is retrofitted with a B/port M head as well. 20" Prema shaper

8" Hercus slotter

Hercus T&C grinder plus a basket case tabletop 'project' surface grinder

Baby Arboga radial arm drill

18" metalcutting bandsaw with blade welder

God alone knows how much ancillary stuff, it took a 20' container and a lotta crates to move my shop from one place to another. Never again.....

The woodworking tools don't count, they just exist so I can construct more buildings to house the metalworking stuff.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

Hey - I get pissed off when I have to change the lathe chuck because there's another job that needs doing right now! That's when having the second lathe is useful, esp when one is metric and one is imperial.

PDW

Reply to
Peter Wiley

Recutting the valve seats takes a special tool, something like a faucet seat cutter but conical. I generally disassemble and clean hydraulics and take them to one of several small local shops who are willing to fix the valves, order new seals and tell me any special reassembly tricks. I think they are too busy with commercial rush jobs to want to completely rebuild old stuff for hobbyists.

jw

Reply to
jim.wilkins

I could use a surface grinder project, but I suspect getting it to TX would not be cost effective.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Showoff!

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

That's very good advice. For the typical home shop machinist, the relative slowness of the shaper isn't a problem. I wish I had room for one.

Boris

------------------------------------- Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580 FAX: 215-886-0144 Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

Boris Beizer

I've got a horizontal (Burke) and a vertical/horizontal (centec). It's nice to have both. If I had room for only one mill, I'd keep the vertical/horizontal. One of the nice features of this mill is that you have something set up on the table and you don't want to move and reposition the work. for example, having machined the top you want to do side and then drill some holes in the side and top, say. The vertical/horizontal is the best of both worlds.

Boris

------------------------------------- Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580 FAX: 215-886-0144 Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

Boris Beizer

Considering all the tool bragging around here, I think it's all about prosthetic devices.

Boris

------------------------------------- Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

1232 Glenbrook Road on Software Testing and Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006 Quality Assurance

TEL: 215-572-5580 FAX: 215-886-0144 Email bsquare "at" earthlink.net

Boris Beizer

My Rockwell is also a combo machine. My problem is that removing the vertical head to install the overarm is a royal pain. Stub arbors work for many jobs though. chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Road trip. And access to the Stacks of Stuff.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

I don't own one, but this is why I like the Van Norman millers so much (or at least the *idea* of one). I've got a Hardinge miller with the vertical head, and it too is a pain in the butt to install and remove. I find it easier to just turn my mind sideways and mount drill bits or end mills in a collet in the spindle.

I've got a nice big chunk of 1" steel plate and one day I'll find time to saw it in half and weld it into an angle plate.

Reply to
Artemia Salina

Chuckle! Does sound like a "measuring" contest, doesn't it?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Ok, if Gunner is gonna play, I call End of Game!

Sheesh

Reply to
Rex B

"loyalty" and "duty."

may possibly

Would be quite a trip, particularly in the truck that gets 11 MPG by itself, or about 9.5 MPG pulling the 24' cargo trailer. Doing brakes and shocks on the truck this weekend actually.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

"loyalty" and "duty."

may possibly

Anyone who quotes Heinlein can't be all bad.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

My hobby pages are here:
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.

--Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Reply to
Ron Thompson

O.K. -- I'll play too. I only mentioned the power tools for metalworking before. I'll just add the things that I can remember that I skipped.

Dumore drill sharpener -- covers #70 through 1/4".

A couple of bench grinders, one antique 6", and a much more recent Jet 8".

DeWalt angle grinder

Air driven die grinders, drills and wrenches.

[ ... ]

DiAcro 24" finger break.

No-name 6" notcher.

Small DiAcro shear -- 10" I think.

3-ton and 1/2 ton arbor presses.

My only welding gear is the blade welder for the bandsaw blades.

Hmm ... I also forgot the MSC version of the $200.00 H/V bandsaw, and a three-wheel bandsaw by Emco-Maier.

Hmm ... did P&W originally make the Cameron line? Or did they re-brand something built from two Camerons?

One Foredom (ancient), and one Dremel flex shaft tool

One variable-speed dremel.

As do I.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Nice!

Those kinds of tools too?

B&D Professional angle grinder (2) Orange Harbor Freight angle grinders Millwalkee 9" angle grinder (Grant Erwin got the Skill)

Same here

Ive got 3 blade welders..none work worth a shit.

Hummmm Emerson 7x12 horizontal bandsaw Dayton 7x12 horizontal bandsaw Walker Turner 16" variable speed verticle bandsaw Jet? 6 wheel bandsaw (very small, will 6x6, when it doesnt throw the blades...sigh.

No idea, but its really quite cute. Share a common cast iron table about 6x10 or so.

I left out the Ryobi (dremel type) and a very very old hand grinder..cant remember the name. I think there is a Dremel flex shaft in there, oh! and a Dumore flex shaft, which Ive not checked out yet.

...lets not start on comparing tooling..there are bandwidth issues.....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Another thread reminded me...Rivett 918 lathe

And I walk around it every time I go out to the welding shop

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner