Leave the vise on the mill table with coolant under it?

When I dial one of the my mill vises, make some cuts, vacuum off the chips and coolant mixture, I leave it that way.
My brother takes his vises off, wipes down the table, and leaves the mill with no vise. He claims the coolant causes rust under the vise.
When I take off a vise, there is some discoloration, but it comes right off with a fine stone. I think I could repeat this for years before I picked up .001" out of flat on the table. I like having the mill ready to go.
But that is all seat of the pants for both of us.
Is there some definitive knowledge?
TIA Clark
--
For choosing to fight, one gets the horrors or war, stress, and possibly
death.

I rub my iron with a block of sealing wax before mounting a vise.

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 05:49:17 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Wouldn't Astroglide be slipperier?

Political Correctness
I was thinking along that line Gunner - but you had to say it!
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/
Gunner wrote:

-
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:18:53 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"

Great (and perverted) minds think alike. <G>
Gunner

Political Correctness

Don't you like the visual? (Now, just TRY to get it out of your head!)
On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 03:54:48 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

EWWWWWWW!
Just leave the belt sanders alone....
Gunner
Political Correctness
Tom Gardner wrote:

"Sealing wax" ??? That hard red stuff that has to be melted and driped on a document and then impressed with a fancy ring. ???? ...lew...

I meant canning wax.
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:26:13 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Im curious..when you mount a vise..exactly WHERE do you put it?
And does the Missus know you been fooling around in the shop?
Gunner
Political Correctness
Tom Gardner wrote:

OH! In USA thats paraffin, or per Websters "paraffin wax" ...lew...

I would suggest a Scotch-Brite pad and a little WD-40 for cleaning the surface rust off, rather than a stone. Then dissolve some wax (as in from a wax stick) in some kerosene and wipe the table down with that. It should pretty well fix the rust problem. (There are, of course, other things that work well, too.)
Jerry
Clark Magnuson wrote:

When moving machinery I've seen hundreds of "under-vise" rust patterns on milling machines, mostly (and the worst) on production mills.
dennis in nca
Clark Magnuson wrote:

I spritz a little LPS 1 before placing the vise. Also, I use a coolant with a great rust inhibitor, from Engineered Lubricants. They mixed up something special just for my mix of materials and processes. I wouldn't get too hysterical about some slight discoloration.
Jon
Jon Elson wrote:

The culprit is not rust but electrolysis. This is caused by acids in the coolant. The dis similiar metals will eventually cause the less noble metal to turn black. This will happen even with stainless steel unless it has been passivated. The ph of the coolant should be monitored.
John
John wrote:

But a cast iron vise base sitting on a cast iron mill table dosent pose much of a "dis similiar metal" pair does it?????? ...lew...
Give the table a smear of way oil before bolting down the vise.
Tony

I tried the extra oil trick and only got more black discoloration. Then I read that anerobic bacteria are the main culprit in the coolant making the black stain under the vise. Adding more oil only gives the bacteria more food. After reading about the bacteria it made perfect sense. ERS

That might suggest the use of a silicone based oil, give the little buggers something they can't eat :-)
Mark Rand RTFM

That sounds a bit like sulfur in the oil getting converted to sulfide, since metal sulfides are usually black and anerobic bacteria will reduce sulfur compounds to sulfides.
Mike