Lets roll!

and a big danger to the people beyond the shooter with a good aim, particularly if a soft [unarmored] spot like the head was hit, and around the shooter unless the aim was perfect. With a high penetration round, i.e. hard/fmj, serious danger of ricochets also exists.

One big question is how did the perp get in the theater dressed in body armor, wearing or carrying a gas mask, and an assault rifle? Walk through the lobby? Use a side or back entrance? Side and back entrances are normally fire exits and only open from the inside, and are usually alarmed.

There is far more to this story.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I've serviced fire alarms in big cinemas like that. The protocol is pretty complex. Once smoke is detected anywhere in the building *all* of the projectors shut down, the RTU's are shut off, house lights come on full brightness, emergency exit signs flash, elevators recall & lock open, and a coded message - "the siren tone" with voice egress directions are announced on all speakers. We spend a lot of effort to make all that happen.

I want to know why the fire alarm didn't do that.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Of course, the fact that he beat the crap out of several cops had nothing to do with it. The initial broadcast showed him kicking punching and pounding on cops, till backup arrived. MSM edited that part out for the replay a few minutes later.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In the late 70's there was a theater that showed The Rocky Horror Show every weekend and it was a blast to go just to watch the critters. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

One in Cincinnati did that through most of the '80s.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Given the amount of ballistic protection that the guy had, I doubt that one person with a pistol would have been able to do much.

Reply to
Deucalion

Thanks for the input on this!

Another very good and cogent question. Let us hope the investigators were able to determine this (or bothered to check) and that the evidence has not been "cleaned up" and/or the security tapes recycled [erased]. Now where are the so-called investigative reporters?

As in so many incidents lately, including random mass shootings, we are left with far more questions than answers

-- far more myths than facts.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Yes there is.

One report said he had a used ticket on him when he was arrested.

Based on that, he probably went in normally, slipped out the exit (why no alarm?), rigged the door, dressed up and came back in.

More will come out in the next few days.

And more will come out of the fantasy-heroes here in the next few days as well.

Reply to
Richard

Are you?

Reply to
Richard

...directly for the nearest police station to report the incident. Leaving the scene and hoping they don't catch up to you isn't a good plan. It *is* a felony.

Reply to
krw

Head shot. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Did he?

Reply to
krw

There are no alarms on the side/back doors of the theater here. Everyone walks out the doors after the show is over.

You seem to be having fun, too.

Reply to
krw

If it's like a lot of commercial alarm installations that I've seen it was wired with surface mounted switches & exposed wiring. Then all you need is a jumper with a couple alligator clips to jump the switch on the door. I've seen more than one door where the switch had been bypassed & left that way after it went bad.

In any case, there should be two systems monitoring the exits, with the switches inside the door frames. One for security, and a second as part of the burglar/fire alarms

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's just when they're read that they turn into Technicolor displays.

Reply to
rbowman

Gunner Asch on Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:09:06 -0700 typed in alt.survival the following:

"We find the defendant Not Guilty, and he can keep the mule."

I remember reading of a rather bad individual who was shot dead, in the street, middle of the day. Yet nobody recalls seeing anything, or hearing anything. Strange how that sometimes happens.

pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sun, 22 Jul 2012

22:51:02 -0400 typed in alt.survival the following:

Something like 230 plus copies of the film were being viewed regularly at the peak. For something which was not in any rotation, that's a lot of copies for a film which bombed when first released.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

'Camp knows no taste' ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The central station will have all those records in chronological order as each detector was tripped.

If smoke was filled so thick as they say, the FA would have detected it and acted accordingly. If not, the FA was malfunctioning or there wasn't as much smoke as we've been told.

Reply to
G. Morgan

If it's installed correctly, the EOLR would prevent the jumper trick. It probably had no EOLR supervision.

Yup, one for the alarm and one for a door position switch for the employees to monitor propped doors. I've installed lots of systems on college campus dorms that's all it did - sound the keypad with a zone indicator saying which door has been open for more than "x" seconds.

Reply to
G. Morgan