Liability & responsibility of electrician?

I guarantee it doesn't match yours.

You seem to think that since you understand the rules of making a connection that you understand electrical power.

I doubt seriously that you have such a grasp of the industry.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You have a medical device that uses a linear front end?

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

That is not always the case. I'm a little rusty when it comes to 3 phase distribution, but I've dealt with some things like this in a machine shop friends of mine own. The voltage depends on the service to the building. Some shops have 208V and some have 240V, and we've had to reconfigure machines from time to time that were purchased from other locations, or run some off buck/boost transformers if they were not configurable. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can fill in the details.

It's good practice of course to measure the voltage and double check the configuration of the particular machine prior to applying power.

$4K seems pretty high though, did anyone look into repairing the damaged board?

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh of course it does. And passed every time for the past 12 yrs.

Nor have I ever made that claim.

So am I just a "handyman"?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Odd...so Im simply a wire hooker-upper? And my CNC machine repair is simply making connections? No understanding of the trade?

Why...because Im not a Union Member?

Chuckle...I charge MORE than most Union Members do. And I get the work.

I suggest you review what you wrote..and why you wrote it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Bingo!!!!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I rented a house for a while that had unusually high line voltage. It varied from around 122V to 125V depending on the time of day. If it was much higher than that, I'd be concerned, but anything from 115V to 125V is pretty normal.

A friend of mine over in the UK is near the end of a long run from the transformer that powers his street. His voltage varies considerably, from as low as 220V to nearly 250V.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I've measured (give or take a few tenths) in the MSOE power lab (which is equipped with 208V 3 phase), and very nearly the same at my own bench at home.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Well obviously you don't know much about the standards of electrical codes, labeling and so on. 245V is very normal..

I would be a little more worried about voltages running on the low side in shops like that.

Reply to
Jamie

CNC electronics cost about 4-8 times as much to fix as normal electronics. Shrug..its called :"the going rate" unfortunately.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

And what is your definition of a line cord?

You've never seen 3 Wire with ground, plugs connected to cords on electrical equipment?

Reply to
Jamie

No, actually, the equipment most likely had cords on it that already had proper plugs that were properly labeled on the twist locks them self's..

You see, these little details are not coming to light here, did the electrician hard wire the CNC to the service or did he simply supply a compatible source for the mating plug on the cord attached to the CNC ?

I don't know about a lot of other shops how ever, where we work, all of our machine shop equipment have twist lock plugs with cords on them and those that know anything about this, know that they can only be inserted in the proper receptacle.

In short, different service voltages have specified keyed plugs. If the CNC already had a plug connected to it, then the data required by the electrician is on the plug.. and that is as far as the electrician needs to go with that.

If an incorrect plug is in use that does not match the voltage of the equipment but may have been used in an area where voltage was upgraded and receptacles were not changed, then it's the fault of the shop owner for not spending the cash to correct that.

Reply to
Jamie

While a router is not as glamorous as a lathe or mill, I do believe they are still considered a machine. Controlled via CNC makes them a CNC machine...

And yes, many of them have cords with plugs. Need pictures?

Reply to
William Bagwell

it's most likely the feed to the building is 480/460 and a transformer is being used. I don't know to many electric companies that will supply 240 3 phase any more.

I'd be willing to bet that the transformer came along with the move and that being the case, yes, it can sag abit when other equipment get going because I can't picture a huge xformer in use here.

Reply to
Jamie

Don't waste your time Gunner. Dimbulb is a troll from southern Califorina who pollutes the electronics and electrical newsgroups. His Cox Cable IP address puts him somewhere in the San Diego area. He is an expert on everything, except correct replies.

Here is a list of some of dimbulbs nyms:

Abbey Somebody AnimalMagic Archimedes' Lever Bart! Bungalow Bill

Capt. Cave Man ChairmanOfTheBored Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Corbomite Carrie DarkMatter

Do I really need to say? Dorothy with the Red Shoes on Dr. Heywood R. Floyd FatBytestard

FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor FunkyPunk FieldEffectTrollsistor GoldIntermetallicEmbrittlement

Hattori Hanzo Herbert John \Jackie\" Gleason"

HiggsField IAmTheSlime ItsASecretDummy LargeMarge MadManMoon

MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

Mr.Eko Mr. Haney Mycelium

Neanderthal Phat Bytestard RoyLFuchs SkyPilot SomeKindOfWonderful

SoothSayer Spurious Response StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt Sum Ting Wong

SuspendedInGaffa

The Great Attractor

TheGlimmerMan TheKraken The Last Mimsy TheQuickBrownFox

snipped-for-privacy@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org

UltimatePatriot UpGrade ValleyGirl WallyWallWhackr

DarkSucker Kai

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

He must not get out much....shrug.

And in most of California..that means far far different requirements ..legally.. than does hardwiring.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Diego eh? I know a bunch of ex miltiary guys retired down there, might be talked into taking an asshole out to the desert and burying him so only his head is above ground, then driving home and never going back.

Ill check into it and see if we can ID this guy.

Thanks!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I love that stuff, In the shipyards, weld the stuff to the deck, put a plug and connector on it, and it is "temporary"

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

My Compact-5/CNC lathe (Emco Maier) operates from a line cord at

117 VAC (with jumpers inside for lots of other options since it was made in Austria with exporting to many countries in mind.

Granted -- this is a small one -- 5" swing.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

yes.