Linux

Or even simpler, as on my ubuntu and debian systems, apt-get update then the appropriate: apt-get install locales apt-get install tzdata respectively. And I'm done. Oh, I was done many months ago. Unlike windows, it tracks past and future changes so proper time can be calculated regardless of previous or pending changes to the rules. Here's the 2006 and 2007 excerpt from mine:

$ zdump -v /etc/localtime | grep "200[67]" /etc/localtime Sun Apr 2 08:59:59 2006 UTC = Sun Apr 2 01:59:59 2006 MST isdst=0 gmtoff=-25200 /etc/localtime Sun Apr 2 09:00:00 2006 UTC = Sun Apr 2 03:00:00 2006 MDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-21600 /etc/localtime Sun Oct 29 07:59:59 2006 UTC = Sun Oct 29 01:59:59 2006 MDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-21600 /etc/localtime Sun Oct 29 08:00:00 2006 UTC = Sun Oct 29 01:00:00 2006 MST isdst=0 gmtoff=-25200 /etc/localtime Sun Mar 11 08:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 01:59:59 2007 MST isdst=0 gmtoff=-25200 /etc/localtime Sun Mar 11 09:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Mar 11 03:00:00 2007 MDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-21600 /etc/localtime Sun Nov 4 07:59:59 2007 UTC = Sun Nov 4 01:59:59 2007 MDT isdst=1 gmtoff=-21600 /etc/localtime Sun Nov 4 08:00:00 2007 UTC = Sun Nov 4 01:00:00 2007 MST isdst=0 gmtoff=-25200 $

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

You know I think it was a Seagate drive on th 300 win98 box. Interesting technique. Thanks Karl

Lloyd E. Sp> > I've had the hammer technique work to restart a drive before. I seem to

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Well among other ways, it is a problem when Microsoft decides that they no longer support XP, which means you will have software you can no longer re-install, or machine y0ou can no longer modify. It would not be a big shock to me if that was within two years. jk

Reply to
jk

jk wrote in news:4ahsk2tfh3kh9mm07ka6f4ljs6cemvudsj@

4ax.com:

The next edition of Winders is due out early next year.

Given MacroSloth's 3-edition cycle of maintenance and the amount of time between viable OS releases, an XP system should be good for at least 6, and possibly 10, more years.

Reply to
RAM³

XP Service Pack 3 has been delayed until 2008, 4 years after SP2.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

[ ... ]

And -- check out this URL for what is planned for Vista, if you thought that XP was nasty enough. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

So Microsoft may choose to disable pirated Windows XP installations. Beyond a few inevitable false positives, what's the problem with that?

Reply to
Black Dragon

Well, they're also going to remove software that _they_ decide doesn't belong on your PC, by default. Given that MS's "firewall" is vastly inferior to, well, any other software firewall, I can't see that going well. I don't think they realize just how good the alternatives are, and that not _all_ their customers don't know it.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 05:41:04 -0500 (EST), with neither quill nor qualm, Black Dragon quickly quoth:

"Beyond a few inevitable false positives" is undeniably the largest understatement I've heard all year. It could shut down millions of users for a week each time just swapping drives. If that wouldn't be a problem for you, you're not using your computer much at all. For me, with an OEM copy on my drive, no CD, it would be a nightmare. Just getting the Adobe CD out of fire safe each time I add updates is a real PITA for me.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I see at least one major one. If MS can gain access to your computor when they want to, eventually the hackers and crackers will work out how to exploit it.

As I see this a denial of service attack no longer requires access to the computer, just the ability to trigger the "watchdog" programs that are watching for pirate software. If you trigger those, MS's own servers will go around shutting off systems for you.

Havoc! :-)

10 million teenagers unable to IM each other!

Oh! The humanity! :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

That depends on whose false positive it is. What if it is yours?

I know that *I* would be offended at such a false positive, assuming that I trusted the system with anything important anyway. It would be bad enough with the income tax software once a year.

And considering systems in critical tasks -- such as the mentioned systems in hospitals working away in a closet, until the unseen warning messages shut it down -- just as somebody's life is depending on it (since my wife just spent three weeks in the hospital, over half of that in intensive care, I am sensitive to that), you can bet that when there *is* a failure caused by this, Microsoft will have some really nasty publicity to deal with.

And how about the systems which I mentioned which are not

*allowed* to connect to the net for security reasons (any machine which contains classified information *cannot* be connected to the outside net -- by law)? Those would be very poor choices.

Come to think of it -- even passing the code number which it produces out to phone to Microsoft would be a potential security violation.

I *hope* that Microsoft has produced a version which is immune to these shutdowns for such environments -- but I'll bet that they have not.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Well one problem is listed in that article,

MS can not even keep people out of unintentional flaws in their security, much less stealth intentional ones.

And further, even one false positive is a problem, and even a "few", when the few may be millions is a bigger problem.

Yes microsoft has a right to curb piracy. THey do not have a right to "repossess" a legal copy, which is in essence what they are doing. [I think the moral position of their "right" gets stronger when they actually deliver what they promise, which they RARELY do.] If they were serious, they would go with a dongle system. jk

Reply to
jk

When I installed XP on a computer that had 2000 on it - it aborted two times and then demanded to have the official disk. What - from a Compaq installed with no official disk ? That sucks. I found an old windows 95 update disk and then it installed.

Martin

Mart> Black Drag>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Currently :

The sucky updates have on my XP systems (4) did:

  1. insert a CD into the dvd/cd burner - and the program I bought pops up and starts to run - then MS install tool pops up and 'trys to install an optional software....' Press ok - and it demands for the CD... exit it - another pop up same thing - exit - another pop up same thing.

Next day - another 3 pop ups... after 4 days of 3 pop ups it finally gives up.

  1. Shop computer - Install network RF software from CISCO. MS tool, after installation - starts taking over the net - both are useful - but the MS tool is installed first and often causes address violation on the CISCO tool. I just reboot and try again.

I feel some of the malicious 'program' programs are malicious on us not on vile downloaded xxxx.

MS have become their own worse enemy. They have been asking for it for a long time. They charge more for their software and have more flaws than other vendors.

I sense that the company has gotten to large and out of control to be moral and responsible.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Dave H> >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Bring up instruments - there are many instruments in industry that have MS software on them and many are network connected for file transfer.

Scopes and meters. Yea and like you said - medical, airline, ......power, utilities Homeland security scare - thanks to MS.

slippery slope and it is loaded with wet spongy slime.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

D> According to Black Dragon :

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn