Re: SolidWorks running under WINE?

Did anyone get SolidWorks running under wine?

Yes, but it was very slow.

We don't have any useable windows machine here (just some 266 MHz, no more > windows since then), and i'd like to run solidworks in linux at full speed > (not in vmware).

With a 266mhz it is not going to seem like full speed! I ran it on a 400mhz AMD K6II celeron, 64mb RAM, 4gb HD, and the Trident Blade3D video controller. It was a dual boot system w/ Linux 2.4.20 and Win98. Solidworks was installed onto the FAT32 partition through Windows. Then the FAT32 partition was mounted while in Linux. It was usuable, but not to be used for more than fun. I was just messing around one night and tried it. I plan to try it again with a AMD1.8ghz and better video card.

There is a nice compatibility layer for windows applications called "wine" > in linux, that allows to run a lot of windows applications at full speed. > Sometimes the applications are said to run even faster under Linux than > under native windows...

Not here...

> Well, the problem seems to be that native openGL under this compatibility > layer is fullscreen only. :-( > > Does anyone have more experience? > Any idea if there will ever be a Linux Version of SolidWorks? Else we will

Hopefully.

have to look for a different software. Blender is said to be very good; > maybe there will be some CAD extension for Blender sometime? > > Greetings, > Erich
Reply to
sw2linux

If they decide to make a Linux version, my guess is it will be quite some time before we see one.

Have you ever looked at VariCAD?

runs under Linux and Winblows.

Check here for pricing.

have a special deal until August 15th. $399.00 and an extra $99.00 for Upgrade and Support for 1 year.

VariCAD is a 3D/2D CAD solution for mechanical engineering. It is compact, fast, easy to use, and provides everything one needs for mechanical design. High performance, powerful tools and ease of use make VariCAD a great investment. The system is sold "fully loaded," including all features and functions, for one very affordable price. No other product of its kind can offer such a superb value.

In addition to powerful tools for 3D modeling and 2D drafting and dimensioning, VariCAD provides libraries of standard mechanical parts (ANSI, DIN), calculations of standard mechanical components, and tools for working with bills of materials (BOM) and title blocks. The comprehensive package enables designers to quickly create, evaluate, and modify their models.

Reply to
Richard Charney

sw2linux quipped:

wow. under knoppix no less? :)

last time i tried installing it using crossover office it did not work.

I have NOT tried installing it in windos, then running it using wine. (dual boot win98/mandrake. (tho i can't even remember the last time i booted into windos. Ut for Linux-->Nuff said.) will have to try this some time.

this is on a Athlon1.1G with 768M ram.

--nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Yes it was Knoppix. I am loading Debian on a new machine now and will try it again. It wasn't a fair test before because;

  1. Running through Knoppix
  2. 64mb ram
  3. 128mb linux swap file on Windows partition
  4. Poor video card

Hopefully with the new system it will be somewhat tolerable.

Sometime I will try to load SWX onto a "fake" C-drive from Linux. That I'm sure will cause many more problems.

Reply to
sw2linux

I would think running Solidworks inside Vmware under Linux would be better performance than Wine...

Has anyone tried it? I've got Linux going under Vmware and it is near to native - 'course I'm not doing heavy duty OpenGL either. Video drivers could be a problem too.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

bob z. is hooked on wolfenstein Enemy Territory right now. awesome game. oh yeah - linux, baby!!!

Reply to
bob zee