Looking for a general opinion. At what point is a "loading fee"
excessive?
Example:

Dave
I would agree that $500 is excessive. $50 sounds more reasonable. It looks like the guy is charging $500 instead of having a reserve price in the auction. I wouldn't deal with him.
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
I probably wouldn't report him to eBay. eBay have incensed me recently with their lack of customer service and general crappiness, so I don't see it as my duty to boost their profits. I would just forget it and move on.
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
I think that it is an outrage and will report him.
Ignoramus8558
I just hate something like that being in the "fine print."
Reply to
Dave
$500.00 seems like a lot but maybe not if he has to rent a fork lift because he doesn't have one that heavy. Maybe $500.00 was what he was charged when it was brought over from the auction? Maybe he thinks he'll need to skid (and crate?) the machine for shipping LTD? Why don't you ask him before going off on him. Just seems like it might be the right thing to do, although I know "benefit-of-the-doubt" doesn't seem to mean much any more.
dennis in nca
Reply to
rigger
After seeing some of the rigger's fees on the online machinery auctions it seems only slightly outrageous.
Reply to
its me
Fine print? It's right there in the shipping and payment details where it ought to be.
$500 may not be unreasonable depending on the exact circumstances. How much do you suppose it would cost to hire a rigger to disconnect the machine, drain and dispose of the fluids, move the machine a few hundred yards thru a working factory, and load the machine on your truck?
Sounds like at least half a day's work for two guys to me.
Ned Simmons
Reply to
Ned Simmons
Take a look at a story about another Ebay auction for a Xbox 360, the "fine print" at the bottom said "This is not for a Xbox 360 game system, but instead a picture of one."
It got sold for £470.
Reply to
reply
6 days, no bids. The market provides the answer
Reply to
Rex B
Right on!
Rex B wrote: > 6 days, no bids. > The market provides the answer > >>>> Dave wrote: >>>> >>>>> Looking for a general opinion. At what point is a "loading fee" >>>>> excessive? >>>>> >>>>> Example: >>>>> >>>>>
RoyJ
It's no different than a high starting bid on a "no reserve" auction, or excessive "handling" charges. Take it into account when you bid, or refuse to do business with people who use such slimy techniques to boost the price.
Dave wrote:
Reply to
Mike Berger
Yes, that is worse.
Reply to
Dave
"Dave" wrote in news:1134657920.762905.316590 @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
That is not. That *might* pay for someone to build a pallet that will safely handle 3000 lbs and keep the machine upright. That doesn't include other things that must be done before shipping a machine, like you cannot ship anything with any fluids in it that could spill, i.e. oil. All the oil must be drained from the machine, along with any other fluids. This all takes time and money.
Reply to
Anthony
"It was hooked up, under power and running production up until a few weeks ago."
Then the smoke got out....
JR Dweller in the cellar
Dave wrote:
Reply to
JR North
This is an interesting intersection between hobby and industry. People who's time is essentially worthless (who gets paid for a hobby?) buying machines from companies who's time is worth a lot.
If you wanted something like that out of the die shop I work at, that price wouldn't be unreasonable at all, if you wanted us to move it.
Now, if it was coming out of some guy's garage...
Regards,
Robin
Reply to
Robin S.
If it was in your shop and you did not need it, you would need US to move it.
Ignoramus20852
Ignoramus20852 wrote in news:BAGof.86952$ snipped-for-privacy@fe22.usenetserver.com:
No, The company cannot allow YOU to move it unless you are a licensed and bonded millwright or rigger. Otherwise, the insurance company is going to scream loud, VERY LOUD $$$$$$$$$.
Reply to
Anthony
But this is to load onto your truck. Basically he is making his money and not paying EBay. I ran into this one time. Machine is outside guy wanted 500 to load. I have my own forklift and said I would load it myself. ( last thing I loaded and moved was a 14,000 lb OKK milling machine.)
The guy sent nasty email said he was banning me from bidding. So I informed ebay. The next day his auctions went from way low with 500 to load to 499 and no loading fee.
Not that I care if ebay gets paid, but he shouldnt have sent his nasty email to me.
Reply to
Bill
Ther is a rather large difference whether the item is being loaded to be transported to be used by someone or to go to the scrap yard. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller