After having looked at the item in question, and after reading how the seller came to own it, I'd bet the value of the machine that he paid pretty near $500.00 fir it at this "auction" he mentions and his "loading fee" is his way of making sure he gets out of it what he paid for it without having to give up as much to eBay.

But I've been told I'm too cynical...

John E.

Reply to
John Emmons

Total and utter rip off. Even if the dude had to go RENT a forklift for the day it sould be less than a $100. And based on the pics in the background..its a good bet he has a a forklift on hand..and should do it for free -$50. Most places..it would be free.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Gerald tells us:

be transported to be used by someone or to go to the scrap yard. Gerry :-)} London, Canada<

Perhaps not as much difference as you may think.

The same rules of safety still apply. You still can not drive down the road with a machine gushing coolant onto the roadway. The machine still needs to be loaded onto the truck in the same manner regardless where it's final destination may be. If a skid is required under the machine for safety it will still need to be used.

You are suggesting less care may be required to prevent damage to the machine if it's scrap; this is the least important feature of loading a machine. Safety always comes first.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

for the day it sould be less than a $100. And based on the pics in the background..its a good bet he has a a forklift on hand..and should do it for free -$50. Most places..it would be free.<

"Utter rip off"; do you really think so?

The seller had no reserve on this machine. Unless he's a complete maroon he knows what this means and added the $500.00 as the minimum he would take to go through the hassel of getting the machine out of his shop. As it turns out the machine sold for low $$$ so the "Loading fee" was probably about what he could have gotten for scrap (or a little bit more?).

Sounds like an innovative way to sell a machine. I hope the person who won it enjoys it.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

TMT asks:

After all, it is part of the condition of the auction that was held on Ebay.<

Don't know for sure but I guess the answer may be no. I imagine ebay might take a sideways glance as well. Did the seller do this to avoid ebay fees? I won't hazard a guess as there are many who would.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

There is a mill on eBay now. No shipping, must be picked up at its current location. Not just picked up but at it current location. that sent up a red flag. I'm thinking, is this thing in a well or on an island? Sent the seller a question. No answer. The smell grows stronger.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

So you are saying that the seller will do it for free, if I simply show up with a flatbed trailer and ask them to drop it on with a forklift, leaving out the "prep"?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

If your interpretation of my post is such as you stated above, please forgive my poor mastery of the English language. I have no idea what the seller of this equipment will or won't do. I'm just saying if he's not in the machinery selling business, and all the prep and loading has to be contracted out, I'd have to look real hard if I could take that contract at $500. At this point someone ought to contact the seller an see what they are getting for their $500 instead of assuming the seller is a con-man. It never fails to amaze me how much people will assume with out just asking a few simple questions.. lg no neat sig line

Reply to
larry g

I bought a cnc edm at an auction where you were REQUIRED to use their rigging company to bring the machine outside the doors to your waiting truck. It cost me $800 to bring the machine outside, then I had to hire a rigger to bring it home.

The required "rigger" was a complete idiot. They dropped many machines, and even broke the legs of one of their employees when the dropped an air compressor on him. Thankfully, my machine wasn't damaged.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

At this point someone ought to contact the seller an see what they

I sold a smallish CNC Lathe on Ebay. I charge $100.00 as a loading fee. I got plenty of emails from people that thought it was robbery. Actually, it's less than 2 hours shop rate at most places. I'm sure it cost me more than 2 hours of disturbance to get the job done.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Looked at his other auctions, and it does indeed look like this seller is using his prep fee as a sort of minimum/ebay fee dodge/trap for the unwary.

$700 on a radial drill, $300 on a press, $50 on a tapping head. On the machine tools, I can amost see doing it, but $50 on a tapping head (listed at $0.99) that can be put in a box and posted for less than $10? Um, no, not for me, thanks... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

TNT tells:

In my opinion the guy is trying to not pay Ebay its fees.<

I'm disappointed and supprised at ebay for letting this kind of thing pass;.unless they allow it under certain curcumstances?

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger