Long term gasoline storage

They say it has a shelf life. See link above.

Wes

Wes

Can one of the chemists that monitor this group explain this for non chemists?

Wes

Wes

In common terms, it keeps fats and oils from going rancid.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

My grandfather had an elevated gasoline tank on his farm for filling his tractor in Ohio. I know most of his gentleman farmer buddies did too. Don't recall if he ever said how big it was, but I would guess 500 gallons.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yep - My Aunt & Uncle and all of their kids had dairy farms. They had diesel and gas. Large tanks. A working farm or ranch has large tanks as they get delivery once a month or once a quarter. They were in Wisconsin. And the tanks were outside by the equipment barn.

They are all out of the farms now - small farms overwhelmed by large corporates.

Mart>> Bob La L>>>> I'm thinking of getting a large gasoline tank, enough for two or more

Martin H. Eastburn

The issue is not how large the tank is but how stabile and dangerous the gasoline is. Gasoline contains many different chemical species. Some of these species are olefins which over time tend to polymerize and form gums that can plug small orifices like fuel injectors. Reactions of olefins or other species known as diolefins can also react with oxygen to form various types of acids. It is difficult to keep oxygen out of the tank because of the slight expansion and contraction of the gasoline with temperature. A low and constant temperature will tend to inhibit the polymerization as well as preventing the tank from breathing. I would say that keeping gasoline stored for over 3 months will start the polymerization process. If you have ever had the opportunity to smell gasoline that is quite old ( a year or two) you will notice the sharp rancid smell, those are acids and other bad actors . It may also be against environmental rules to have an underground storage tank in your area. Be sure if you put in the ground (if it is in the air temperature variation could be 20 degrees or more between night and day) it is held down firmly because in the event of ground water build up it may pop out of the ground and may even rupture.

In my opinion even if the fuel mileage for cars were to double in the next three years and the price of gasoline was $4 a gallon the savings you might realize is not worth the risk of storage nor the damage to that brand new high efficiency automobile you just spent several thousand dollars for. Don't forget to account for the amount of interest you might realize if you took the money you spend for the 500 gallons of gasoline now and instead put it in the bank to realize some interest compounded over 3 years.

On the point of danger - gasoline has about 15 time energy per pound than dynamite. Since gasoline weighs about 6.5 pounds per gallon the 500 gallons will have the equivalent energy of over 45,000 pounds of dynamite. It is true it may not be released as suddenly as dynamite but be sure an put the

500 gallon tank far away from anything you might not want to damage and especially far away from any potential sources of ignition.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message news:g8frcm$j04$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Reply to
Synergy