Looking for a spring-loaded centerpunch--Noxxon?

Don't know if it's a new product or not, but it's new to me and a bunch of fellow woodturners in our club. A guy demoed spindle turning for our club today, and had this neat doodad to centerpunch the ends of a turning blank. He called it a Noxxon centerpunch. Not exactly an automatic centerpunch, because you need to lift one end and release it manually.

Googling for noxxon produced nothing but sites for a German pharmaceutical company. I can't reach the fellow who has the tool--anyone familiar with it and where to get it? TIA,

Ken Grunke

Reply to
Ken Grunke

Rick

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I have the nail set. It works OK...

Reply to
Rick

Rockler woodworking also sells them, but they don't have quite as big a selection:

Doug White

I do quite a bit of layout involving center punching, and I own both General and and Starrett automatic center punches. I can confirm that the General works better, although the point on the Starrett holds up better. I recently replaced both points, nice to know in this throwaway age that parts are still available for some things.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
kfvorwerk

The various woodworking suppliers have the Noxxon nailset, I've used them, works better than the usual hammer and nailset, been around for years. Mine came from Menard's. But when you want an automatic centerpunch, you usually want to use only one hand to operate it. Haven't seen too many real hardware stores carry Starrett's, but they usually have General's line. Some even carry the replacement points. I use them for starting hinge screw holes. There's another sort that's really handy that you find from time to time, it's about the size of a pencil. Doesn't have as much punch, but it's a lot more handy for certain jobs. Non-replaceable point, though.

Stan

Reply to
stans4