Looking for a mini-sumo kit recommendation

Hi All,

I'm trying to put together a mnini-sumo demo to take into schools etc...

I'd like to quickly build two identical mini-sumos but use radically different programming to show that it's as much the software as it is the brute hardware that can make all the difference in the ring.

I'm hoping to find a pre-fab kit (promoting that part of the hobby as well) so that I can get the demo built quickly. But... I need it to be as inexpensive as possible.

I've been an HC11 and scratch build person as long as I've been in this hobby, but will gladly look at Stamp or PIC driven kits.

TIA Steve

Reply to
Steve Morley

It looks like acroname has a pretty nice kit for $75

Alan Kilian

Alan suggested the Tab Sumo kit, which isn't mini sumo (it's too big for the mini sumo rules) but nevertheless, it'll probably work for your application. Acroname is a good source, but it's $10 cheaper through BN.com. (But not Amazon, who sells it at the full $99 price.)

The lowest-price true mini-sumo kit is probably the Mark III, developed by members of the Portland Robotics group, and sold at

$92 buys everything, including a controller. The basic version uses a PIC, but they also offer an OOPic version.

-- Gordon Robots for Less at Budget Robotics:

Robot Builder's Sourcebook & Robot Builder's Bonanza

Steve Morley wrote:

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Solarbotics is *about* to announce a mini-sumo kit, that comes default with discrete brains (no microcontroller), but the BS2/Stamp stack optional brainboard will be immediately available too. Early in '04 we're expecting to offer the PIC 16F877 and Atmel Mega8L brainboards. (Each brainboard swaps out the discrete brainboard). We're aiming for a $69USD retail, with several upgraded versions with more options included.

It's kind of handy as you can always fall back to the default discrete brainboard when you're unsure if it's a hardware or software fault in your minisumo. We've already pre-sold about 100 for a few workshops in North America, and the feedback we're getting from our alpha-version tests has been *quite* good.

It's a bit premature for an official announcement for the new "Sumovore" kit, but here's a quick rundown until the official release:

The Solarbotics SUMOVORE took over 500 man-hours to design, test, and redesign. Over 20 prototypes were tested to make this design that make it the best of it?s class. Check the stats and see for yourself:

Fully conforms to minisumo competition requirements

9V operation (6 AA?s) Powerful 224:1 or 143:1 gear motors (not servos) Up to FIVE front edge sensors Two active IR opponent detection sensors Modular electronics spread between a mainboard and two daughterboards Included advanced-behaviour discrete brain module (easily swapped out) Power-coated STEEL front plate in multiple colours (available ?04) Custom-made 2-5/8" wheels in multiple colours Full schematics included for custom hacking One optional active/passive rear IR detection sensor Optional easily-activated built-in line-follower mode Optional Basic Stamp II / Stamp Stack brain module Optional PIC 16F677 brainboard with breadboard space (available ?04) Optional Atmel Mega8L brainboard with breadboard space (available ?04)
Reply to
Dave Hrynkiw

I'm seeing this a lot now that this process is catching on, but it's

*powder* coating. The term comes from the powder-like particles used for pigmentation and resin.

Otherwise, the specs of the news mini sumo robot sound great!