Mini Lathe Kit

I have just missed a mini lathe kit on e bay, it was a set of partly machined castings for a lathe of circa 50mm swing 350 centres. Pity but does anyone know where or when they were produced? Dave

Reply to
david R

Got an auction ID to see what it looked like?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

item=19034842501 Dave

Reply to
david R

0 results found for "19034842501"

Sure thats the right item number?

Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

try

190345020398

looks like copy of ml2 3 4 or drumond

Reply to
mark

It looks as if its a Simat. Headstock and tailstock tapers are Modified MT0, IIRC the thread is 14x1.5 and Unimat chucks should fit. If the picture shows all the bits that are being supplied it's missing the drive from the spindle to the lead screw. The back end of the headstock spindle has a worm drive machined onto it which meshes with a bronze gearwheel that is on the end of a shaft with another worm drive machined on it which drives another bronze gearwheel on the end of the leadscrew. The part that looks like a clock key is the bearing for this intermediate shaft and swings to take the drive in and out of gear.

Should you acquire one I can let you have a copy of the manual.

Don Valentine

Reply to
Brassman

I think that there's a picture of a Simat in the standard beginner's book "The Amateur's Lathe" by L.H.Sparey, available from Camden.

Reply to
Phil O. Sopher

And here

. By the looks of them one of my neighbours had one for sale a month or 2 ago.

Reply to
David Billington

Thanks very much very usfull. I did acquire it in the end as the top bidder didnt pay, just waiting for it to arrive so am intrested in the manual. Happy to pay costs of course

Dave

Reply to
david R

Wasn't a member of this family of machines also sold as the Flexispeed or Flexispeed Meteor. Dased at North Walsham IIRC

Reply to
1501