Mini Lathe Kit

I have just missed a mini lathe kit on e bay, it was a set of partly machined castings for a lathe of circa 50mm swing 350 centres. Pity
but does anyone know where or when they were produced? Dave

Got an auction ID to see what it looked like?
Mark Rand RTFM

item034842501 Dave
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:39:49 -0800 (PST), david R

0 results found for "19034842501"
Sure thats the right item number?
Regards Tony

try 190345020398
looks like copy of ml2 3 4 or drumond
It looks as if its a Simat. Headstock and tailstock tapers are Modified MT0, IIRC the thread is 14x1.5 and Unimat chucks should fit. If the picture shows all the bits that are being supplied it's missing the drive from the spindle to the lead screw. The back end of the headstock spindle has a worm drive machined onto it which meshes with a bronze gearwheel that is on the end of a shaft with another worm drive machined on it which drives another bronze gearwheel on the end of the leadscrew. The part that looks like a clock key is the bearing for this intermediate shaft and swings to take the drive in and out of gear.
Should you acquire one I can let you have a copy of the manual.
Don Valentine
--
Brassman

I think that there's a picture of a Simat in the standard beginner's book "The Amateur's Lathe" by L.H.Sparey, available from Camden.

Thanks very much very usfull. I did acquire it in the end as the top bidder didnt pay, just waiting for it to arrive so am intrested in the manual. Happy to pay costs of course
Dave
Wasn't a member of this family of machines also sold as the Flexispeed or Flexispeed Meteor. Dased at North Walsham IIRC