Mag light corrosion (some metal content)

Erik wrote in news:spam-E12698.02131918022010 @news.dslextreme.com:

Curious if the white paint is significant. I understand painting the usual bare metal found at the ends of the bar for corrosion staining on linens but is the color meaningful in some way?

Reply to
Charles U Farley

easier to find in dim light

Reply to
chaniarts

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:50:18 -0800 (PST), the infamous snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com scrawled the following:

If you guys are going to quote the Jayzussfreaks, please snip their sigs first. Thank you.

-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Exactly!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Quite possibly. Many alkaline cells have a very different construction from the older plain-vanilla (Leclance) cells. The Leclance cell has a carbon rod in the middle, a zinc can, and manganese dioxide plus ammonium chloride in between. Many alkaline cells use a can pressed from carbon and whatnot, a zinc rod in the middle, and an alkaline mixture containing fine zinc between. Dropping an alkaline cell might fracture that outside can, leading to leakage.

Please wear good rubber gloves and proper eye protection before attempting to saw open an alkaline cell. The KOH in those cells is nothing to snicker at.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry

I carry a mini mag and a squeeze light when I'm up and about. And a short light with three AAA cells in my nightrobe pocket.

20 years ago, a RS guy told me Duracell is the company that makes RS batteries. Could easily have changed.

Thinking I should sticker outside the Mag Light, as to what brand of batteries contained. In case they leak and the light is unsavable.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The old carbon cells. If you pull them apart, the zinc can comes apart fairly easily with diagonal side cutting pliers. The carbon rod is good for writing on sidewalks. And the manganese dioxide will make your Mom yell at you about the mess (this, I know...)

Never been urged to saw open an alkaline cell. I'm sure you are right.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon