Making a fuel tank from stainless 304

This is is in regards to that 20 kW generator that I bought. It comes

with a 100 gallon day tank, which I think is insanely too big. So

unless someone makes me realize the error of my ways, I want to sell

that day tank and get something smaller.

And I am thinking that I can safely make a simple tank.

I have three sheets of stainless, I believe them to be 12 or 14 gauge

and 12x50 inches or so. From them, I could make a 20 gallon tank,

probably 12x12x36 inches or some such, it would be compact and it

would not rust with stainless as material.

If I tig this tank, and pressure test it, there sshould not be any big

problems, or deterioration of this tank as time goes on. Right?

Ignoramus6985

are you planning on using biodiesel?

Reply to
erik litchy

Definitely not. This is a backup generator. The benefits would be near

zero, but the costs would be comparatiuvely huge. By the way, I saw a

guy a few weeks ago who converted his diesel Chevy to biodiesel.

Ignoramus6985

Why don't you look at buying a polyethene tank.

Reply to
Dan H

If you already have the tank, why not just keep it? If you are using

anywhere near the capacity of the generator, that's not overkill in my

mind. I don't know the history of this purchase, but whether its gas or

diesel, just treat the fuel with "Stabil" or whatever and forget about

it. It could even be a place to store fuel when the price is right.

Pete Stanaitis

-------------------------

Ignoramus6985 wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Well, I would not store 100 gallons of gasoline regardless of price.

The tank is for diesel fuel only.

I would estimate the average consumption in winter to be 3 kW, and in

summer, if we use A/C, to be 10 kW. The peaks, of course, would be

higher than averages.

I expect the diesel fuel consumption to be between 0.5 to 1.5 gallons

per hour depending on load. Thus a 100 gallon tank, would last 100-200

hours.

I already own eight steel fuel jerry cans full of diesel fuel.

One of them is already serving as a fuel tank, since I added fuel

supply and return to the fill cap. It is not very convenient.

I now think that the most realistic approach to this issue is to buy a

brand new jerry can and tig weld on fittings to the jerry can as

opposed to the screw on fill cap. (something that I could not do

before due to not having a tig).

Ignoramus6985

Stainless tanks are hard to make in thin materials. Distortion is a problem

in materials thinner than 3 mm. All seams must be back gassed to prevent

porosity in the seams and both sides of the welds must also be passivated.

Think expensive. If you want such a small tank, go to the bone yard and buy

a used autumotive poly tank for peanuts and they will come with a supply

pump and a sensor. Secondly, your generator sizing is way too small. Please

consider your phase loads, not overall wattage. You will never acheive

balanced coil loading. A single household should typically be supplied with

a 10 -15 KVA unit.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Don't clean your welds with a carbon steel wire brush, use a stainless one.

Carbon steel will contaminate the tank and cause it to rust.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That tank should out live you many times. One point of caution though, don't

mount it directly on the engine as the vibration can cause work hardening

and cracking after a while.If it is only used on a stand by basis, and

really need to mount it on the engine skid, use some vibration mounts to

isolate it. Email me in 50 years and let me know if I'm wrong. ( don't

expect a quick rely then as I'll be 111 years old, ald probably a little

slow)

Reply to
Grumpy

100 gallons sounds like a lot, BUT if that rig runs anything like the 25K back-up unit my neighbor has that 100 gallons only handles about 2

days of running.

Reply to
Steve W.

Ignoramus6985 wrote in news:98c4n5-

snipped-for-privacy@besm6.chudov.com:

Until you've actually measured the fuel consumption rate, don't be in a

hurry to downsize the tank.

I've got a gasoline-fuelled 7KW Onan - a unit far smaller than yours - that

uses about the same as your projection.

Also, you'll need to figure on 24-hour operation: that 1.5 gallon rate of

yours translates to 36 gallons and the 100 gallon tank to not quite 3 days

of use.

All in all, you may want a larger tank.

Reply to
RAM³

"Steve W." wrote in news:g7peth$a55$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

People DO tend to forget to multiply per-hour numbers by 24 for

emergency/backup power generators, don't they?

Reply to
RAM³

What ever you use for a fuel tank, be sure to use a water trap and a

very fine particle filter on the output. Diesel doesn't look like it

will absorb moisture, but it does. Also will gel up in the winter

unless some type of additive (kerosene?) is added. A backup generator

won't do you any good in the winter if the filters get plugged!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

I am also afraid of legalities of owning a 100 gallon tank.... but

yes... If shit hits the fan, the 100 gallon tank would definitely be

helpful.

Ignoramus6985

Could you just go to a scrapyard and get a tank from a small truck? I

think making a neat tank is probably harder than it sounds.

Nice generator. Is the tank in the pictures? I couldn't see it.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

The tank is pictured here:

It is still at the seller's place,m but I took a lot of pictures.

Ignoramus6985

Wow. Looks the size of a washing machine!

Your generator isn't one of those which has a big flywheel to store

energy and make the output uninterruptable, is it? Now that would be cool.

Is it three phase?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

We have ranch trucks here with larger tanks than that in the back!

They are often duals in the rear and super duty and drag 20 horse/steer

trailers or a tractor and all implements. Stuff the 'hood' folk don't

normally have in the backyard. :-)

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn

Ignoramus6985 wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn

Quite a bit bigger actually. It is 30 by 30 inches, or in metric

units, 75x75cm and about 4ft/1.2 meters tall.

No, as I said it is the same kind of motor as I fixed two years ago,

it has a flywheel but it is small. The generator rotor is also a

flywheel, but probably not too heavy, maybe 100 lbs.

It is reconnectable to a LOT of voltages and phases, three and

single. 20 kW 20 kVa on single phase, 20 kW 25 kVa on three phase.

Ignoramus6985

Iggy,

Do you really need a backup generator? You live in town. Do you have

issues with power there?

Living in the country I have long gotten used to brown/black outs, but

I didn't think that was much of an issue in the metro areas. Most of

our issues are due to the lines touching in high winds (or idiots

running into power poles). Neither of which should be a concern in

town.

And if you are running a generator in town, do you have means of

disconnecting yourself from the mains? I would hate to be a lineman

in your area if you don't.

JW

Reply to
jw