Metal cabinet restoration/preservation

I bought about a 6' high x 3' wide AC/DELCO metal cabinet today, plus a horizontal one of about 3' wide and 18" high. Original paint, and nice AC/DELCO lettering on the fronts of the doors. The sides of the cabinets are blue, but much more faded than the deep blue of the interior and interior shelves. The outsides look like they have been out in the weather.

Would simple washing take some of the white streaking off without taking off too much oxidized paint? Would a coat of clear help stabilize it, and if so, what type of clear? Lacquer, enamel, polyurethane? I would imagine the paint to be plain automotive enamel.

They're real cool and I got them for $10 for the pair. Just want to keep them from going downhill further.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:55:42 -0600, the infamous "SteveB" scrawled the following:

It depends on how oxidized they are. I'd wash it to find out. At worst, you'll have to repaint. If they weren't outside for 10+ years, the oxidation will come off and leave a bright blue paint behind.

No, don't clearcoat 'em. Wax 'em.

A quick rubdown with a deoxidizing compound, like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound or Cleaner Wax.

Then throw a polymer coating on top. I prefer NuFinish because I'm lazy, but I haven't yet tried Klasse All-In-One or Acrylic.

-- Seen on a bumper sticker: ARM THE HOMELESS

Reply to
Larry Jaques