Mostly OT: Silencers

f = ma, not mv.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Agreed! I too wouldn't mar a nice weapon with a can. Besides, where I live, I can achieve the same silencing effect by putting on my earplugs. Also neighbours are few and far away.

cheers T.Alan

Dave H>

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Its hard to make a linked barreled automatic work properly with a silencer on it. Fixed barrels are best. Most of which are blowback operated, rather than the delayed blowback of the 1911 and others of the same style.

The US military issued Ruger self loaders, along with Colt Woodsmans, each equpped with silencers. 22lr. Ive used both of these.

Gunner

Gunner

Energy of a moving object is 1/2 mass times velocity squared.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Thanks for the info. I remember powder residue quite well; one day while shooting a friend's .22 Mag revolver, a round "misfired". Since it wasn't my gun (I normally eject the round after about 10 sec pointing downrange), I asked him what to do - he said don't worry. The next round seemed to be a little hot, but I ignored that. Apparently, the misfire was a primer-only, and the bullet discharged into the barrel, the next round pushed it out (??) and got jammed in same barrel. The third shot was quite an experience; the loading gate ('twas a single action, peacemaker style) blew off, the base of the casing exited through that space, along with a lot of powder residue, and plowed a pretty good furrow in the base of my thumb. I had to wrap my (now blackened) hand in a towel to stanch the bleeding until we finished shooting (it was a long walk back to his farmhouse, so we had to make do). The revolver had the cutest little bulge halfway up the barrel. It hung on his wall after that. Who knew that guns could be so dangerous?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Can a woodsman be equipped with a can, without damaging it? If you ever looked at those pictures, I'm sufficiently Woodsman'd.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes, it can..there are plenty of sites....on the subject of connecting them properly. Many of the European cites have good information as they are not a felony in many countries.

Gunner

Gunner

If's something proportionate to the mass of the bullet and the speed it's traveling.

Now I'm going to have to go look it up, write it down. Copy it to the notebook, write it on the white board 25 times, and then I will probably just remember "I wrote that down, someplace."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Are you thinking of momentum?

p = mv

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Could be ... I just checked my physic's textbook, it says here that Atoms are the smallest particles which make up matter.

What I wanted to short hand was that the delivered energy at the target end is a function of the velocity of the projectile and the mass of said projectile. Roughly speaking: Faster makes up for smaller, bigger makes up for slower. If you slow a bullet down to subsonic speed (to eliminate the "crack") then you will have to make up the speed with either a bigger bullet, or a shorter range.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

That's what Dalton said. Of course that was around 1750 or something.

I think they're down a bit deeper than that at the moment. :^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

again, f=ma. in a short stop, the a goes very high, which means the force imparted is high, and is proportional to the mass of the object.

newton's 2nd law of motion. it's the law, not just a good idea.

Charles Spitzer

Sounds like Keith's pounds-feet theory, although he had a definite preference for bigger over faster (that is, momentum is better than KE).

Absolutely. Aside from the terminal ballistics aspect, increasing the mass of the bullet will increase the sectional density & reduce velocity loss.

Are you familiar with "Whisper" family of cartridges?

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Didn't some Greek guy mention it a couple of years before that?

R, Tom Q.

p.s. You're pretty good at posing as an electrical illiterate. Actuallly, I think you've earned your Trolling Badge.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Dalton is pretty much acnowledged as one of the first heavy hitters when it comes to the notion of an atom as the smallest bit of any given 'element' that still displays the properties of that element.

Here's an interesting link talking about his contributions:

There were others before him of course but he was basically the first one to get all the concepts down in one place and use them to descibe how chemical reactions really occur.

Of course atoms are *not* the smallest form of matter. Subatomic particles as a cool neat idea date back to the days of J. J. Thompson who discovered what electrons were all about. In grand terms that was only a *very* short time after Dalton did his thing. [1]

From there on one is drawn inexorably into the question "what's inside an atom" and the best way to figure that out is to see what happens to spontaneously pop out of them. Then you start asking 'how does that stuff all *work*?' and discover that classical mechanics just kind of falls flat on its face.

Jim

[1] the biggest number that used to have physical meaning was considered the estimated volume of the universe, expressed in terms of number of electron volumes. I think that number has been supersceded by Bill Gate's net worth at this point though.
Reply to
jim rozen

Thanks, for the link; I haven't read it yet, but I will tomorrow. Sunday, latest.

No, of course atoms aren't the smallest form of matter. AFAIK, they're still the smallest portion into which an element can be divided and still retain its properties. I'm assuming that Pyotr's textbook said something similar and he abbreviated the definition for rhetorical purposes. Of course, I could be wrong; he might have a very old ( and valuable?) book.

OK, but anything beyond classical mechanics is beyond me. Frankly, I think it's a little rude of you to rub my nose in it.

R, Tom Q. Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

No, he was just a bit sloppy in what he posted. I'm sure he knows the boo-boo that he wrote down. :^) ...

Nah, you know more that what you realize. Almost every single thing folks touch nowadays depends on innards that most decidely are not well-described by classical mechanics. Basically classical mechanics is "F=mA" and "you can't push on ropes."

What depends on non-classical (quantum) mechanics?

The phosphor screen on your computer that you're reading this message on, and the inner workings of the computer itself, to start. You could include your DVD player in there too, that's pretty common. You touch stuff that's been enginneered using non-classical physics all the time.

Most folks that drive around in cars don't have a clue about even

*classical* mechanics. But that doesn't stop them at all.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I've read a few books on quantum mechanics, written for the layman, but I just don't "get it" like I do with classical mechanics. No matter how hard I think about the double slit experiment or Schrodinger's cat, all I get is a headache.

That's OK. As I get older, I'm finding more and more things that I'll never understand and I've mostly made my peace with that. At least with QM I can kid myself that I could understand it if I knew the math behind it. I don't think I'd understand human behavior even if I were as smart as Einstein and outlived Methuselah.

R, Tom Q.

Remove bogusinfo to reply.

Reply to
Tom Quackenbush

Those examples are pretty specific. All one really needs to know is that classical laws are inadequate to describe stuff that's pretty small. So there are some special rules that apply for things that are atom sized, and smaller.

Sort of like, if you are working on really big bolts, big wrenches are OK. But for smaller ones, the ignition wrench set is required.

Interestingly even pretty large things will exhibit quantum behavior - things that are macroscopic in size.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

A flying MLB baseball has a wavelength on the order of 10^-40 meters.

Tim

-- "California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes." Website:

Tim Williams