Moving a VERY HEAVY safe

Good plan for moving the safe a few miles but the OP said: ">I need to move a safe that weighs between 4,000 and 5,000 pounds

That would require the truck to make an 800 round trip and the per mile fee would get pricey real quick.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The plan worked like a charm -- in fact, I was able to unload the safe all by myself using the rol-a-lift and the drop trailer! Renting both from Sunbelt cost $126 for one day (I was up for 28 straight hours). Adding the cost of gas, I assume I still saved quite a bit over having someone deliver it to me (estimates were around $900). The safe is now residing in an undisclosed location somewhere in the northern hemisphere holding many crates full of diamonds. :)

Thanks everyone for the help!

No pix? ;(

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

===================== As Paul Harvey says -- now for the rest of the story

This seems to have occurred with a professional rigging crew.

Bank Safe Crushes Man

Oct 12, 2006 05:57 AM Man Crushed By Safe

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- Police didn't yet release the name of a man who died while moving a bank safe.

for rest of story see

Unka George (George McDuffee) ............................. I sincerely believe . . . banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale. Thomas Jefferson (1743?1826), U.S. president. Letter, 28 May 1816, to political philosopher and Senator John Taylor

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

What a terrible way to die, being pinned by a 3,000 lbs piece of garbage.

Ignoramus534

Any time you have a loss of life, or even an injury, looking back gives a lot of information and perspective.

Could we have done it different?

What did we do wrong?

What failed?

Why did that moron run under the safe?

Lots of things.

When things break, and things go flying, all's well until someone gets hurt, or worse. Then it becomes an exercise in examining stupidity.

Which we humans are known to exhibit from time to time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:19:28 -0700, "Steve B" wrote: .....................

................. Perhaps the clearest proof of our collective stupidity is we keep making the same mistakes over and over again.

At university I had a Chinese Professor that would occasionally "quote" from the old Chinese philosophers.

I have looked in the Analects by Confucius but was never able to locate the source of the following quote. (paraphrased)

The inferior man never learns. The common man learns, but only from his own pain. The superior man learns from the pain of others, thus avoiding their mistakes.

Applies to all of us, but in different areas at different times.

Unka George (George McDuffee) ............................. I sincerely believe . . . banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale. Thomas Jefferson (1743?1826), U.S. president. Letter, 28 May 1816, to political philosopher and Senator John Taylor

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I agree 100%.

I am going to unload several diesel engines, similar to Onan DJC, from my truck soon and I will keep the story in mind. Also a 7 kW generator.

Ignoramus534