Need 4" Carbide disc or ring

Where would I get some carbide rings or discs? I would like to have 2 or more carbide rings or discs about 4" diameter. 1/8" thick or so. If I get rings I will make a wheel to support the rings.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Some rotating seals use rings of hard ceramic, usually Al2O3, and that might be an easy item to find. I'm not sure any metal-cutting carbides (like C-2 or C-4, WC and TiC with cobalt binder) are available in that size.

Both B4C and SiC are available in hot-pressed plate form as solid ceramic slabs, and you could machine those with the right tooling. B4C is conductive, so EDM (electrical discharge machining) is also possible there. Norton sells this under the "Norbide" label.

Check the web for ceramics manufacturers for these items; it's more a technical ceramic kind of thing than machine tool item.

Reply to
whit3rd

I'd start by looking for slitting rolls.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
news

These are the most wonderfull people in the world! They have solved every problem I have presented them. Mention me. Let me know if you need them coated.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:56:27 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

Talk to them about shop breakins, wot?

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques