need help with refrigerant fittings

I'm retrofitting the controls in a big chiller (for an ice rink) and I need to add pressure transducers along with the existing gauges. The gauges hav e 1/4" male flare connections. The transducers are 1/4" male npt. Ideally, i'd like to find a Tee that can attach to the back of the gauge and accept the existing flared tube and the transducer.

While I'm dreaming, it would be good if it didn't project far behind the ga uge.

I have looked at grainger and mcmaster, and come away more confused than I went in. Surely I cant be the first person to do this.

I'm not a refrigeration guy, though I'm working with one. I won't be able t o reach him for a week, and I'm trying to get a jump on this.

Your suggestions are welcome.

jpb

Reply to
rangerssuck

You might look at a Swagelok catalog. Getting from 1/4" flare to 1/4" NPT will take some adapters, but I think it can be done.

If brass is usable (not with ammonia) Weatherhead hydraulic fittings might be an option, but a quick keyword search of their website made it clear the hunt will be a long one.

Good luck,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

ed to add pressure transducers along with the existing gauges. The gauges h ave 1/4" male flare connections. The transducers are 1/4" male npt. Ideally , i'd like to find a Tee that can attach to the back of the gauge and accep t the existing flared tube and the transducer.

I went in. Surely I cant be the first person to do this.

to reach him for a week, and I'm trying to get a jump on this.

I did find a 1/4" female flare to 1/4" npt male, but it's either out of sto ck or crazy expensive everywhere I looked. I have decided, instead, to do i t the "right" way, and make up short flared female - female tubes to connec t the gauges to the tees. More trouble but easier to put things where they need to be.

Still, it's surprising that this isn't a more common part.

Reply to
rangerssuck

If there's a refrigeration supplier in your area, they have stock of all sorts of special fittings for this. The trick is plumbing is measured from the effective ID of the pipe, refrigeration is measured by the real OD of the tube.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

There is a Harbor Freight brass 1/4 inch T fitting with 2 npt "sockets" sticking out the sides & 1 flange fitting on the bottom (or top) in the next room that's served well. If there's a Harbor Freight store handy, a trip there might be worth while for you. Also, the Ace stores can be useful. Costly though.

Hul

rangerssuck wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus