Need some intro into riveting

I am likely going to make a meat smoker out of a UPS box (see recent thread). In the process, I will need to close up some of the ventilation openings in the UPS, which I plan on doing by using thin galvanized HVAC steel sheets. The question is how to attach them to the UPS body. I could either use machine screws (like #6), or rivets. I need to drill the sides in both instances, right? Is there some cheap riveting system based on hammers? I am completely ignorant about riveting. Thanks.

Ignoramus2238

"Ignoramus2238" wrote: (clip)Is there some cheap riveting system based on hammers? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Forget hammers. Go to a hardware store and buy a beginning setup of pop rivets.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Pop rivet gun. About $20 -$30 for a good one. Drill hole, insert rivet tool with rivet chucked up, squeeze until you hear a POP. Discard stem. Repeat as required.

Ignoramus2238 wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Don't try to save time by letting the next stem push the current one out. They come out really fast. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman