Need to lose weight (metal content)

Wife says I can buy a flat screen TV for the bedroom if I lose 20 lbs. My stomach is interfering with my sight line. Would like to mount the flat screen on an overhead track (metal content) and be able to pull it forward 5-6 feet when in use so it's almost over foot and at an angle. Would love to have it move forward and back by remote control.

Any ideas? Garage door opener hardware would be overkill. Although a long screw type of mechanism might work. What about track and bearings? All ideas appreciated. (Already lost 10 lbs.)

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Appearance isn't important in a garage door opener, but it would be here. Further, the TV needs power so there will be power at the site of motion. I'd use a small DCPM motor, perhaps in conjunction with a timing belt laid out and hidden in the track, or perhaps little rubber friction tires. Control could be by infrared as with TV remote.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Your making it unnecessarily complicated - why not buy a slightly bigger screen, mount it high enough up the wall so you can see it over the surplus poundage - the effective viewing area of flat screens is bigger anyway (I assume your going to get LCD or Plasma?)

One thing to note - a lot of the screens have cooling fans in them, something you wont notice in the store due to the ambient noise level- BUT your partner WILL notice it if your late night viewing.

Of course, if this is an interesting metalworking project, then none of the above is at all relevant. But be warned - the aesthetic standards of your partner will be on a vastly different plane than yours - best off saving your metalworking time and skills for something thats not going to generate eternal debate over what colour it should be...

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

I would say listen to your wife and lose 20 lbs. It is not very difficult, just eat less and do some extra exercise.

Ignoramus6496

Contact your local window treatment / drapery supplier. They have all sorts of cool remote control hardware right out of the box.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Good points, Andrew!!! Ivan

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You could just rig up an over head pulley and rope affair wth the tv on parallel tracks. Pull the rope and tv moves orward and catches at the end like a pull dow window blind. he inished give a litle tug and the set is retracted by a coiled up srping.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Take a look at this page. I think the pictures will be self explanatory.

Gary Brady

Maybe you can combine all these suggestions, and make a pulley system for your big-screen TV that would double as an exercise machine. I envision something that pulls the TV up as your viewing angle gets lower, and sinks it as you raise yourself up. For extra bonus points, make it retract the snacks tray as you come within reach of it. A few hundred reps a day and you might start losing that weight, while firming up those tummy muscles...

Andrew Werby

Andrew Werby

Skylight mnfg's too.

Snarl