Off topic Aspalt tach coat/primer

I am going to attempt to repair my horrible driveway by cutting out some of the bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion as a pr imer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble fin ding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!

Reply to
stryped

By tach coat do you mean one that is applied fast? Oh wait, that wopuld be Mach coat. Tach coating is for maybe measuring how fast cars drive on your driveway? I think you really mean TACK coat. Don't you think the folks that sell hot mix would know what's best? ERS

Reply to
etpm

I've looked around over the years and never really been able to find anyone selling tack oil in less then 50 gal drums.

It is probably essential when laying and entire new layer of blacktop I have found when just patching holes, that roasting the hole with a weed burner until the old asphalt starts to spit tar back at you, does a fine job of promoting a good bond with the new blacktop patch.

Paul K. Dickman

I have read that the road crews use a tach coat of asphalt emulsion as a primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will not work for the application I am wanting?

I appreciate it!

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

of the bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot m ix plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will n ot work for the application I am wanting?

I asked. They don't sell anything like that.

Reply to
stryped

bad sections and installing hot mix asphalt myself. (I have a hot mix plant about 10 miles away that will load my trailer with hot mix.

as a primer to help the asphalt stich to the old asphalt but am having trouble finding it locally. There is a lot of "asphalt emulsion primers" out there but they say they are for foundations and roofs. I am assuming these will not work for the application I am wanting?

Yes, a tack coat is advisable. See

or
for more information.

I don't know about "asphalt emulsions" but paving work here seems to be done with an application of hot asphalt using a truck with a spray bar for a tack coat.

Reply to
John B.