oh shoot

About 1/3 acre.

Some do.

Not really.

Well, I can do grinding in my garage. I have a grinding/cutting cart that I made out of an old kitchen cabinet, it is on casters and can be taken anywhere. There is a Baldor 1/2 HP grinder, a chop saw, a wet wheel sharpener and a 1/2 TEFC motor which I use with various grinding implements mounted on motor arbors.

I do not own O/A.

I heard that TIG produces less fumes and lends itself better to doing it indoors. If so, I can weld inside.

I am thinking that if I can block off the light, by say using some blankets, then I will be fine. The noise I can masquerade with a running lawnmower, for example.

Remember, light from welding arcs is hazardous. I do not want to expose my neighbors to hazards, that's not nice. So, blocking off the light is of utmost importance. I was thinking of just hanging tarp around the welding area.

Ignoramus4243

I walked my farmers agent through my metal shop. Showed how it was locked and constructed. He thought like a tank. I think an armor car. Didn't say. It is 200 yards from the house and has its own power drop and meter and bill. He knew I was starting Plasma as he offered to show off some stuff at his office. No issue - far from home - and a metal building .

carl mciver wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Heck, I remember when I was living in Silicon Valley a guy got a $500 ticket for having a gallon of muriatic acid in his garage. Kicker was he bought it from a store about two blocks from his house, and every single house in his area had a pool and stored pool chemicals including - you guessed it - muriatic. Guilty.

It was in the San Jose Mercury News back about 1994. Sheesh.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

At least around here almost everyone gets their TV from cable. That reduces the potential for upsetting based on the RF noise.

Just having started doing welding in the middle of silicon valley with close neighbors all around, I am hoping none of my activities get the neighbors riled.

I do have to admit that I was turning with my lathe around midnight and the tool was singing because I was turning a groove and afraid to cut hard. I think I better try to remember not to annoy much in the future. The neighbors that I would most likely have disturbed have kids who like the current BOOM BOOM BOOM music, so maybe we can come to an understanding if it ever comes up.

Reply to
xray

In my experience (MN), ordnances largely exist to give the authorities power to curb nuisances. I and my neighbors do all kinds of things that there are probably rules against on the books. Nobody cares because nobody is bothered. I've been welding in my garage for 25 years, never once had a complaint. I don't, however, generate any truck traffic (other than UPS) delivering materials or picking up finished goods. That sort of activity really doesn't belong in a residential neighborhood.

If your biz is recorded, as an S corp or LLC or whatever, you might bill it as design engineering and consulting (sounds clean and quiet) rather than metal fab which sounds industrial. Building proof-of-concept prototypes from time to time is certainly part and parcel of such a biz.

A biz with any volume probably should be set up in a business place, but making a few this's and that's is no different from doing it as a hobby in terms of the activities conducted or as it might affect neighbors. Company comes once in a while, the UPS man stops a time or two per week, no bother to anyone.

If you're unlucky enough to have busybody neighbors, you may be out of luck. I've been real lucky that way! My neighbors definitely pay attention and miss about nothing, but it's protective rather than intrusive.

City Hall may be able to curb your bidness for a while, but they can't prohibit you from having the capability unless they also prohibit similar activites in persuit of a hobby.

It's often easier to beg forgiveness than to get permission.....

Good luck!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I recently bought a plotter/cutter and am doing signs and graphics from my home and it is very restrictive. I am still in the welding business but am getting this going for when I decide to retire from welding. SO, if you need signs or graphics you can email me at snipped-for-privacy@bak.rr.com for a quote and keep it off here. Like customers cannot come to your house. You can only use one room of your home for this business. Any and all equipment must be retained in that one room, not in garage, backyard, no where, except in that one room they allow you. No signs advertising your business. If you have a company truck, it cannot contain your business name, truck if it does have signs on it, must not be visible from the street. Just all kinds of crap. I should have just said screw the city and not gotten a license at all but I am getting large enough orders that I have to have legitimate standing in order to sell the signs and graphics that I can produce. ISN'T CITY LIFE JUST ABSOLUTELY PEACHY.

Reply to
Jess

Did I mention that recently I wound up with (5) Lincoln "LinConditioners", which look like a mid sized shop vac, but have a ceramic filter inside..that is used to suck up welding smoke and filter it clean?

Gunner

Gunner

I read my homeowner's policy carefully. No mention of welding whatever, no exclusion for coverage if O/A tanks are present, nothing at all like that. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Grant Erwin" wrote in

Insurance policies are like that. You don't find out what they contain or what they mean until AFTER you have a loss. Or what the exclusions are. Or the deductibles. Or gobbledygook ............

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"xray" wrote

Noise is defined by occupational safety experts as unwanted sound. "Music" can be argued not to be noise, although at times, it is coming in so unwanted from passing vehicles that it qualifies as noise.

But in a tug of war in court about the two points, the "singing" on the boom box would win over the "singing" of your lathe as to which one is acceptable.

I personally prefer the machine noise to the OOGGAH BOOGAH music and angry filthy rantings coming out of the car stereos.

Guess I am just getting old.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Sure glad I left that place in 85. It was pretty nice there until the late 60s.

Reply to
michael

Hey Grant,

Specific to arc, or rather to all/any "electric" welding, there is a terrific amount of spurious TV and radio interference generated, which is not allowed in residential areas. Maybe that's why?

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

"Angry filthy rantings"?? Are you saying that you actually can understand those lyrics? Hell, I can't hear anything other than the THUMP THUMP.

Joe (who does a weekly radio show featuring 60s & 70s progressive rock - some with bleeped angry filthy rants, too)

Reply to
Joe

Maybe RFI from welding equipment?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Ok.

Reply to
SteveB

Or make it a religious thing: you are working on the Arc of the Joining

Reply to
Fred R

It's a church, obviously.

Our lady of the holy hot-spot.

They can't pass laws about places of worship!

My favorite chuch, which I attend when the rest of the family is at worship: The Church of John Moses Browning.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Sounds like an application of a GP kind of law that allows fuzzy law to exist. I kept my acid in the pump house.

Grant Erw> Heck, I remember when I was living in Silicon Valley a guy got a $500

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

--Been there, done that. Verily I say unto you MOVE to another town. By the time you're done with the permitting process you'll have given up all rights granted you by the Constitution and that's no way to live in one's home. If you *do* manage to go thru all the hoops correctly all it takes is one phonecall by someone who doesn't like what you're doing to shut down your operation permanently. The d*****ad running the local crack house shut down my operation this way.

Reply to
steamer

Nonsense. Insurance policies are a contract, with terms well spelled out (although often difficult to understand).. What good would they be otherwise?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos