Ok am I wasting money on this?

Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed and cash or keep walking. take a look

Waynemak

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find something else similar for a better price. That size machine with a bucket is very much in demand, and since it sounds as if it is close to being in running condition, my temptation would be to say "go for it". Caveat: I'm in New England, and farms and farming equipment is getting scarce, they keep sowing houselots and reaping mcmansions, so YMMV. --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

For the money, seems like a pretty good deal. Even if you can't get it to run any better than it is now, you can probably part it out for the same(or more) money.

I don't think you are going to go wrong on it for $1000.

JW

Reply to
jw

buy it.

the paint is good. there is little rust.

to rent one of these is $200 + an hour.

what to watch out for:

leaking hydraulic pistons, leaking hydraulic lines. Looks like there may be an oil leak, the pan is covered with black. Oil leak is no big deal, but engine running with low oil is a NO. There is a seal between the pan and the crankcase. This is probably leaking.

Looks like someone just put new plugs in it. The battery may not hold a charge, or the Generator might be out.

These are great old machines. Built to last, not to break.

By the look of it, it is at latest a 1960's machine. 60 + 45 = 2005. It's been around for 45 years, and will stay around if you keep it clean and maintained.

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

Does the kid come with it?

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Waynemak wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

My grandfather used to say "You make money on the purchase, not on the sale...if you buy it right you can't get hurt" I'd show up with $800 and be prepared to drive away. You can always come back and meet his price. Its like having an additional conversation that could be worth $200. When's the last time you had one of those? I don't know about you, but $200 is more than my bill at the bar. Go for it, but "buy it right" is my advice.

Reply to
mclorson

That battery looks like it's in intensive care in those photos!

:^)

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I don't think you wasted a penny. Seems I read in a prior thread that the motor is a 6 cyl. with two used for compressing? I don't remember for sure.. If it's a four cylinder with a seperate compressor I think you'll find motor parts easier than you expect, I'm pretty sure Allis Chalmers used that LeRoi motor in one of their tractors. I've also seen one in a Bantam crane and a portable compressor.

Nice machine, baby it and it'll last.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Reply to
Waynemak

Reply to
Waynemak

Nice item, as well as the kid.

Ignoramus11475

She's adorable so I'd say she's worth every penny. Good job!

As for the tractor, I don't think you can go wrong for just $1000. If you don't have a lot of experience with engine work, I'd have a mechanic go over it just to be sure everything is as it should be. I'd hate for the engine to be damaged or destroyed due to a small service item (oil pressure and flow being the two most critical).

I like the on-board air compressor: very cool. I'd check the tank for internal corrosion, considering its age and lack of attention. I wouldn't want it to explode on you.

I'd also check all the hydraulics, particularly the hoses. A leak in a high-pressure line could cause serious injury.

Good luck!

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Reply to
Waynemak

Looks like a cool machine. If it's sound, go for it!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Frankly, a damaged/weakened tank would be a "concern" at 20 psi.

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

that's AWESOME! buy it now!.... i'm jealous.

walt

Reply to
wallster

thats ah..er ahum quite an interesting erm ah...Thingy.

Gunner

Gunner

Reply to
Waynemak

Buy it. I would. If it's an Allis Chalmers, it's likely a sleeved engine. They're a pleasure to overhaul and last forever once it's done.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

The Jackhammer with tools. Is it part of the machine or separate? Does it work. Is it air, petrol, electric?

Is the cherry picker driven by the machine? How high does it go? I assume i's hydraulic. If you can get it to some postition where the force of gravity would cause it to sag, and it doesn't, then the rams and spools are OK. Done deal.

Do you have use for the periphals? Are you aboe to sell things (I can't....useless. Magpie by nature.)

Is $1000 important to you?

You are buying an adventure, in the end. Win big time, or spend a lot of interesting time rebuilding a swiss army knife.

Reply to
Old Nick