Old riding lawnmowers

Anyone done anything interesting with old lawnmowers? I have an idea to combine the rear axles from three old riding lawnmowers to make a 6WD tug that could be used to pull a trailer around my backyard without getting stuck.

Reply to
Dave

I used the transaxle from 2 old craftsman lawn mowers to make the back end of my paintball tank. I also modified them to have duel wheels.

Sorry, the pictures aren't too good. I sold it last month, so I can't take any more. :(

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Down around San Antonio they have annual lawnmower races.

But don't expect to bring your old ride and expect to compete.

I've seen some of them do 50 mph in 1/8 mile...

Scary as hell!

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb

Around here they have garden tractor pulls (don't call them lawnmowers!). They get pretty good performance from them too. Most of what they use are old Cub Cadets, but you'll see a few of the old craftsmen too.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Reply to
Rex B

Looks like an RV. I wish you had taken chassis photos...

Reply to
Dave

I am currently adapting an old garden tractor chassis as a four wheel wagon to haul my gas powered welder. I'm using the lift on the backend to carry my cutting torch cart.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

I know a guy in a northwest suburb of Minneapolis who converts older Cub Cadet riding mowers (and others)into multi-engined machines. He has one with 3 10 or 12 hp Kohlers and one (an Ariens, I think) has 2 twin cylinder engines and is articulated. He has several others, too.

I am planning on using a 15 hp hydrostatic transmission from a Cub Cadet to run an old 18" turret lathe that was originally flat belt drive.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------

Dave wrote:

Reply to
spaco

I turned an old (brand not remembered) into a buggy for my youngins to play with / destroy. I added larger wheels to the front, added duals to the rear, made header for it, stripped off uneeded items like deck etc, and they put many a mile on it in the woods here while they were growing up.....

Reply to
Roy

You need to go here...

kbeitz

Years ago, we bought some old Wheel Horse 4.5hp lawn mower/tractor units that had been used to move mobile homes. The hood was removed and the front frame had a hitch on it. The motor/trans pulley set had been changed to much reduce speed. With one, we repullied to run about 20mph. Quite a ride on a baby tractor. No mower deck on these guys. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

Reply to
wayne mak

You otta see the new one I'm building.

:)

And yes, the big gun really shoots!

Reply to
Dave Lyon

Is there an effective muffler for these engines, one that actually quiets them down enough that you don't need ear protection? I had a mower with a B&S 8hp engine that is TOO LOUD.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch