Old Tool preservation

My Grandfather who is 95 has given me a tin tool box made by my great grandfather that contains some tin smith tools. just a few items ( rivet setting tools, edge formers - various sizes, drills) items that most might throw out as they are really of no use - however I'd like to keep them. I need to store them in the garage (dry but cold in the winter - well southern Ontario cold) as I don't have a workshop in the house. The tools are rusted (surface) - any idea as to how I should try to preserve these items - soak them in oil and put them in a bag? TIA

Reply to
Steve

That would work but a better way would be to purchase one spray can of LPS-3. It dries to a waxy, greasy protective coating that will not dry and not drain off. For serious long-term preservation I would spray them down with this and then wrap in saran film.

Under no circumstances should you rely on wd-40 to prevent rust.

Jim

jim rozen

I second Jim's caution about WD-40 NOT being the best choice.

I, personally, have had some success with Liquid Wrench-type of sprays. It helps clean off the old rust, and leaves an oily, protective film. I use it a lot on my various machine surfaces.

I also have some spray cans of AMP Metal Preservative - which leaves a sticky, cosmoline-type coating on whatever you use it on. You must use some sort of solvent - brake clean, choke cleaner, mineral spirits, etc. to remove the coating, but the metal underneath is as shiny as the day you sprayed the coating on.

I must try the LPS-3 myself. It sounds promising for short-term storage while I prefer the AMP spray for long-term.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Reply to
Bob Paulin

Reply to
ian R. Weeks

Ian, You might try calling the airline maint. dept. at your local airport. It's used around aircraft quite a bit in the U.S. and I would imagine it is available over there too.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton

You can also check with marine/boat/ship repair/parts shops too - they often have something like LPS to retard corrosion.

--George

Reply to
George

Ian,

In the UK the distributor for LPS products is Ambersil

The parent company website is

Hope this helps

Reply to
Bob Robinson