One more gunsmith question

The trigger guard on this kids' Savage Arms shotgun attaches with screws (which are missing). The thread looks like 10-32, but becomes hard to turn after appx. 3 turns. Is that possibly a weird thread, or is it just designed to hold the screw tightly?

Secondly, while I could go to Ace Hadrware and buy two very short

10-32 screws, they will not look original because the original ones were black. Not really a big deal, but is there some place to buy matching screws. i
Reply to
Ignoramus9556

It probably is the standard coarse metric size 5mm x .8mm. Note that 10-32 major diameter is 0.1900" or 4.8260 mm and spacing is 1/32" = .03125" = .79375 mm, fairly close to 5x.8mm metric.

[snip rest]
Reply to
James Waldby

An M5 screw in a 10-32 hole acts like what Iggy describes, but a 10-32 screw is a sloppy fit in an M5 hole.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

use the very handy search engine on the left side of the page and find the exact replacement screws

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Most American manufactures used some odd threads, but few were metric.

Iggy can buy the proper screws at GunParts, or simply retap the holes for 10-32 full depth, and black oxide some standard screws he buffed the galvinizing off of.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Have you tried Brownell's?

Reply to
Louis Ohland

Numrich Arms

Reply to
Louis Ohland

I just remembered...10-36 is a rather common gun screw size.

as is 10-40 and 10-48

Its probably a 10-36

It should be noted..that gun screws are Seldom "common" sizes in thread dimension.

As an example....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Gunner, this website is totally awesome, it is like McMaster-Carr of guns. I found replacement screws at $2.50 each. THANK YOU!!!

Ignoramus9556

Ive been trading there for over 30 yrs. Chuckle

Got lots of other places, depending on what you are looking for in arms, ammo and so forth.

They also have Stuff that never makes it to the catalogs. I was looking for an extractor for a Bergman Bayard 1903...and they had (1) carcass stuck on a shelf. It helps if you have good contact skills and have dealt with some of the guys for many years

Got lots of other places, depending on what you are looking for in arms, ammo and so forth

I see they are running specials on shotgun stocks for some of the more common clunkers at the moment. Got a couple I might need to "dress up" a bit, after giving it a cursory run through.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Guns quite commonly use finer-pitch threads than UNF. It's probably a

10-36.

A possibility:

Or make them on your lathe. You'll have the blackening stuff anyway, right?

Reply to
Don Foreman

If you fork out for the catalogs, you'll get a lifetime reference. Now comes in two volumes.

As far as threads are concerned, guns are wide open. A lot of designs originated way before screw threads were standardized. Brownell's is about the only place you can get taps and dies for some of them.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

HOLY CRAP! $20 for a tap?

Reply to
Buerste

On Sun, 9 May 2010 02:38:44 -0400, "Buerste" wrote the following:

Hey, millions of electrons have to slave over a hot, oily CNC all day to produce one of those teensy little things, Tawm. Whaddaya want?

-- The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. -- Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Ayup. Wierd sizes are more expensive than normal made by the millions sizes.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The last time I bought odd taps from them they were Polish.

Wes

Wes

Good taps, great price.

Gunner