OT: a note from Foreman

I went up north today with a friend, B.

It's the first time I've done that without Mary. B. wanted to have a look at the boatlift I have there that I no longer use or need. He was a work colleague. He and his wife knew Mary for decades and in later years she and Mary became very close confidantes. I'll bet she knows stuff I don't and never will.

B is an engineer (a very, very good engineer) and so is, by definition, cheap. :

Reply to
Don Foreman

Good to see you are doing ok Don. In another life I reckon you'd have been a writer!

Reply to
Dennis

Good to hear from you on this NG Don.

There ain't no class six. Bet you got a custom blend of rock and clay with none of the material with the screen sizes in between. Was it crushed stones (sharp points on the rock) rather than washed rock from a gravel machine (round well worn stones - little marbles) I've found that the crushed rock mixed with clay is amazing on steep grades. Its our goto solution on the many steep sections in the township I'm the supervisor for. I'll tell Jim (our gravel vendor) about class six with the next order.

55 more days till Big Dave and I go fishing. Dave is about to get another boat. (I hope) Bet Vick will like Dave even more than you.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Don,

So good to hear from you again.

Yes, life goes on - if we let it. It's not the same as before, of course. But when has that EVER been the case?

Sending love and best wishes,

Richard and Dorothy

Reply to
Richard

Do you think she'll "like Dave even more than she likes me" or "like Dave even more than I do?"

Sounds like a good deal for Dave either way! Do I get free fishing and guide service for bringing her?

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thank you! That means a lot to this crusty old curmudgeon.

We need to do more than let life go on, we must make it go on, pursue joy. Not doing so is surrender to the grim reaper, ready to be done with life. I certainly don't fault that attitude because I definitely understand it, but I'm not yet ready to quit most days.

I've known a number of CABG (coronary artery bypass graft) survivors who quit, lost interest in life, didn't soldier on. They're all dead now.

I wasn't supposed to survive my quintuple CABG back in 2009, but I did. I had to because I knew that loss of me would have been devastating for my lifemate Mary. Mar wasn't supposed to die in

2011 but she unexpectedly did. It wasn't for lack of trying. One of her doctors said that she had the most positive attitude he'd ever seen in a patient.

I see a wide diversity of spouse loss grievers in the group that I attend. The first three groups I tried were horrible but this one is really good. I've found some good friends there, including Vick who has recently become rather more than a good friend.

This particular small subgroup seems to have an "attitude" that now seems to be spreading to the larger group. Our small spouse-loss breakout group can get a bit weepy wailey when we welcome a new joiner who is experiencing the kind of pain we all understand so well. Newbys get unlimited time to ramble on however tearfully, there's a big box of Kleenex on the table. But this particular small spouse-loss group doesn't stop there by any means, oh my no! We also HAVE FUN. There have been casual social events at the homes of several in the past few months, and we have dinner and drinks somewhere after "group" each Thursday evening. That can get raucous and rowdy; it's always a lot of fun.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Catching a lot of fish with Dave, Julie, Vik, and karl is the most fun you can have, with all your clothes on.

Nope, you have to pay double. Vik gets to go free.

Same deal with Julie and me.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Me too on it being good to hear from you on this newsgroup Don.

I'll assume that "Vick" isn't short for Victor and hope that things go well for you too there too.

Judith and I still fondly remember our trip to Minnesota eleven years ago when we had a chance to visit with you and Mar "in the flesh" and meet many nice friendly people in your state.

Time moves on, and like a roll of paper towels it seems to run out faster as you near the end of the roll.

I celebrated my 55th college reunion this year and Judith and I are still running the family business together. I think I'll keep working until some health issue make me quit, I've had too many friends in my generation who "retired" and unexpectedly moved to "the wrong side orf the grass" shortly thereafter.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Den 07-10-2012 02:28, Don Foreman skrev:

Good to hear that you're still alive AND kicking.

Going back up would

Maybe not, but a team of Nordic aint the worst ;-)

Always liked to read what youre writing.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

There's no question if you just sit in the rocker, you'd best start shopping for a headstone.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Wow, I can only imagine how tough that might be!

A friend of mine has a chunk of property on the Current River (MO Ozarks) and the last bit of road (which is all his) is quite steep. He has a 4x4 but we go down there at times with various minivans and such, and it approaches the limits of 2-wheel drive vehicle to make it back up the road. I always go with a 100' crane cable and a comealong. But, maybe this class VI is what he needs to make the road repairs last longer.

I did make some repairs by picking out good-shaped rocks and putting them in the gullies and soft spots.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Mary and I once canoed the strikingly beautiful Current River, a very pleasant and liesurely float trip.

There's a whole bunch of steep in Missouri and Arkansas.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I did a few streams in north Arkansas back in the 70's. It is indeed beautiful. So were the girls!

Reply to
Richard

Yes, we get out there usually once a year for a week or so. The kids like to take a 16 mile canoe trip, which is just about what I can handle. We also do a bunch of floating on truck inner tubes, only go a mile or so and then walk back. Our friend has a cabin inside the national park, it was built by his grandfather in

1931, and "grandfathered" in. My wife and a couple of the kids are a bit freaked out by the rustic condition and the critters that live in the attic, so sometimes they make us stay at the Montauk lodge, but we stayed a couple nights at the cabin this year and it was really nice. Last year my son wasn't too good at catching fish (or maybe it was too crowded and the fish were scared off) but this year he caught some great rainbow trout and a spotted bass, and I learned how to clean them right. Wow, that was GOOD!

It is really nice there, and if you are not right at the peak season it is pretty placid, almost like the river is all yours! (If you are there July 4th weekend, it is a complete riot, like America's funniest videos every 5 minutes as the inexperienced crash into stuff and flip their canoes.)

And, glad to hear you are getting out and doing interesting stuff!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'm sad to hear of her passing. But, life continues for the living. I hope the pains fade, eventually. Leaving only the joy of a good marriage, and good memories of gentle times.

I also hope your marraige was sealed in the temple, for time and for all eternity.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon