More eBay madness.

The man's delusional...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item10268298110&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
RobG (the Aussie one)
Yeah, but it's:
discontinued
brand new in box
decal bright
critically selected and punctiliously collected
directly from TAMIYA, Japan, rather than by way of any other 2nd seller
horizontally stored in a dehumidified as well as ozonized space separately
:)

My thoughts exactly. Question is, is this one of those "gotta have" kits or only of interest to a few? Obviously, I don't do very many vehicles unless they're sci-fi.....
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:27:15 -0800 (PST), The Old Man

I've paid some out of line prices for old SF3D kits, (Japanese manga/Sci-Fi for the uninitiated...) I use their rarity and my stupidity to justify it.

Me too. I'm happy as a pig in mud that Hasegawa has jumped on the SF3D bandwagon and that Wave continues to pop kits.
--
snipped-for-privacy@food.skaterat.net
All foods should be removed to reply

I'm just happy that I had just received a bonus back in the day and (needless to say) went to my local brick and mortar to peruse. I knew the owner fairly well and he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. One of each SF3D figure for $2.50 each, aircraft (for want of a better term) and walkers $5.00 and Bandai SF3D figures for $2.00 each. This was about half of what he was selling them for and about what he bought them for from the supplier. He couldn't sell the damned things to save his life (or store - he went under about ten years later) because ~everyone~ wanted aircraft or armor and didn't want to be bothered with Sci-Fi. Needless to say also that this was pre-having a wife and kids in my life. I'm only starting to get around to these now....

I'm just happy that I had just received a bonus back in the day and (needless to say) went to my local brick and mortar to peruse. I knew the owner fairly well and he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse. One of each SF3D figure for $2.50 each, aircraft (for want of a better term) and walkers $5.00 and Bandai SF3D figures for $2.00 each. This was about half of what he was selling them for and about what he bought them for from the supplier. He couldn't sell the damned things to save his life (or store - he went under about ten years later) because ~everyone~ wanted aircraft or armor and didn't want to be bothered with Sci-Fi. Needless to say also that this was pre-having a wife and kids in my life. I'm only starting to get around to these now....
What do you mean. These as wife and kids or do you mean these kits? ;-)
--
Uffe Brentsen

When I got the wife and we had the kids, serious model buying runs became a thing of the past in a hurry. Before they came into my life, I'd spend a Saturday going to various locations on a one-tank trip around my home and scout out hobby shops, books stores, mom 'n' pop general stores and smaller department stores. Afterwards, it was Little League, Scouts, school projects, plays and meetings. It was only after the Internet that I was able to find some of the real old kits that I wanted to build without traveling all over to find them. But I wouldn't trade a minute of it for anything!

Just like the rest of us ;-)

Me neither :-)
--
Uffe Brentsen

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 07:46:29 -0800 (PST), The Old Man

Envy, burning, burning envy........
On Jan 30, 12:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@ripnet.com wrote:

What can I say? Right place, right time. Still wish that Northside Hobbies (in Tonawanda NY) was still in business, he had some of the damnedest stuff come in and he always seemed to sell for a reasonable price.
The Old Man wrote:

...best deal I ever found was a 1/35 Tamiya 88mm Flak Gun at a K-mart for $5. Loooong time ago. I already had two, but - *$5*?!?!?!!!
Also got a Badger 200 airbrush for $20 at a shop that was going OOB as I was moving out of town once...still haven't built or used either one!
--
- Rufus

On 28/01/2011 2:27 AM, The Old Man wrote:

Gotta have? Only if you're into modern F1 and Williams gives you a hard-on, I guess.
RobG (the Aussie one)
On 28/01/2011 12:01 AM, frank wrote:

You grumpy old cynic, you. :)
RobG (the Aussie one)
RobG wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item10268298110&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
...try this one on, mate -
<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TAMEO-McLaren-MP4-Senna-F1-1989-GPMStudio-built-1-43-/250762046769?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item3a62952d31
--
- Rufus

On 28/01/2011 5:38 AM, Rufus wrote:

<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TAMEO-McLaren-MP4-Senna-F1-1989-GPMStudio-built-1-43-/250762046769?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item3a62952d31
And you don't even get to build it... what a crock.
We are an amazing species, to be sure.
RobG 9the Aussie one)
RobG wrote:

Some of the F1 stuff goes way over the edge...particularly anything with "McLaren" on it for some reason. I think this is the "worst" case I've seen, but if I had unlimited resources I would *LOVE* to have/build this kit:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-ENTEX-McLaren-M23-Ford-Marlboro-GranPrix-No9191-MIB-/330505495366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4cf3a9a346
Some of the Tamiya McLaren F1 kits are starting to be re-issued, but are still hard to come by - I was about to go off and try to get hold of one of the 1/20 M23 re-issues only to discover that I have one of the *original* release ones in my stash! I don't remember when I got hold of it.
--
- Rufus

<http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-ENTEX-McLaren-M23-Ford-Marlboro-GranPrix-No9191-MIB-/330505495366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4cf3a9a346
That's a sure sign that either 1, the stash is waaay to big, or 2, it's time to investigate a database solution for keeping track of it.
Or 3, Old-Timer's Disease has caught up with you. ;)
RobG (the Aussie one)
RobG wrote:

I actually do have an XL spreadsheet with all my kits in it...all the planes, ships, and armor, anyways. I guess I better check it for autos...
...but what I really need to start cataloging is my collection of books and reference materials.
--
- Rufus

<http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-ENTEX-McLaren-M23-Ford-Marlboro-GranPrix-No9191-MIB-/330505495366?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4cf3a9a346
You know, if I had the spare cash I'd buy that, just so I could build it. I hate hate HATE the whole 'collectible' model thing - they were made to be made, so let's start making them, huh.
RobG (the Aussie one)