More eBay madness.

RobG wrote:

Me too. I would *have* to build it...and probably pour that much (and more) money into it in aftermarket parts.
...and I do plan to build the 1/20 one I have. What's great is that now I can also get an etch kit for it!
--
- Rufus

That reminds me of a TV programme with James May (one of the presenters of 'Top Gear', the motoring show) where he was talking about various children's toys he'd had or wanted when he was young. He is still heavily into model railways and he attended an auction of rare items. He bought a model locomotive, mint in its original box, for an outrageous amount of money. Then when he paid for it he removed the loco and tender from the box, stuck them in his pockets, and handed the box back to the auctioneer to throw away, then went home and played with it.
You should have seen the faces of the collectors looking on, particularly the guy he'd outbid! -- Gordon Davie Edinburgh, Scotland
"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."

If the box was in good shape, the auctioneer would have sold it to replace one of the crapier boxes; some people will buy ~anything~!

Can I (somewhat OT) point out I have been a McLaren fan from near- infancy (i.e. before they became a major force) and do have a 1/20 M8? (Airfix?) *somewhere* in the stash, but what I'd really like is an M6B to match an old monochrome photo of one I also have somewhere, signed by the man himself - the product of the only fan letter I've ever written; it was directed to the team, so I also got one from Denny Hulme. Also in the envelope was a sticker of the Team Logo then being worn by their cars (with the original "nose down" Kiwi), which I resolved to keep until I was old enough to drive and had my own car. My own car proved to be many years in the future, and I've never had one worthy of wearing it, so that's probably still around somewhere too...

Cheers,
Moramarth
Moramarth wrote:

...oddly enough, I also have one of the M8B kits from Accurate Miniatures staring at me from my stash - the Motschenbacher liveried one. I bought it because that was all that was left, but I planned to build it as a McLaren car figuring I could get some decals...somewhere.
What I'm looking for is one of the Mk8D kits. My personal fav of the Can-Am types.
--
- Rufus