OT: A revoltin' insurance development

I drive a '91 Toyota pickup. While it has a lot of miles on it, the truck is mechanically sound, if I cleaned out the old McDonalds wrappers and Home
Despot receipts the interior would be good and up until now it has had no body damage. I figure it is good for another 3 or 4 years.
During the recent ice storm a limb fell across the front of the truck. The hood and both fenders were a little creased. The estimate to make the repair was $1,800 so I called my insurance agent. After looking at my policy he said he would do me a favor and forget that I called.
It seems that the book value of the truck is $1,200 and I have a $1,000 deductable. The insurance company will total the truck and pay me $200 but only if I give them title. If I want to keep the truck I have to pay THEM the salvage value (which is much more than $200) plus what ever it cost to have the truck retitled as a salvaged vehicle!
Even if I decide not to take that deal the adjuster is still required to report to the DMV that it is totaled and I will still have to get it retitled as salvaged.
Just a word of warning to check your insurance policy. You may be paying a premium to give your insurance company the right to steal your truck.
-- Glenn Ashmore
I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com Shameless Commercial Division: http://www.spade-anchor-us.com

He would have been doing you a much bigger favor if he had properly reviewed your coverage years ago and advised you to drop the collision coverage or change your deductible.
Vaughn

Can anyone tell me what is the agent's responsibility with respect to client? I'm fighting my insurance company now because they slipped a new endorsement into the policy that limits their liability to anything non-OEM to $1000. Apparently I didn't see it. This was done 3 years after I insured a car with significant improvements (which my agent was aware of). It was not until almost two months after reporting the claim that the insurance company mentioned this endorsement and it also took my agent by complete surprise.
FYI, it's California. Any insurance lawyers out there who also make chips???

Dunno about chi-making lawyers, but California has some very good insurance lawyers -- and a state insurance commision which is notoriously favorable to the insured.
You may have more luck than most of us would.
--RC Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
-- Suzie B
Just for reference, where I live and with State Farm, that would have been under the comprehensive area of the policy, with a zero deductible, unless you had a bad history with the company.
RJ

coverage

And up here there is NO zero deductible on comp - even on total loss by fire or theft any more, and State Farm is harder to get money out of that to get blood out of a stone.

Just think Glenn, if in you're younger years, you had gone into the insurance business...minus you're conscience.

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote: (clip) You may be paying a premium to give your insurance company the right to steal your truck. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is why I carry only liability insurance on my older vehicles. The insurance companies make money by collecting premiums that are large enough to make a profit after handling the losses. Statistically, you are better off to carry the risk yourself, if you can afford an occasional loss.
They will never pay more to repair a vehicle than its "total" value. So, as the vehicle gets older, their exposure keeps going down. Do the premiums go down accordingly? I think not.
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

They do, but not by as much as you might expect it should.
Most claims aren't for total losses, even on older cars -- depreciating the whole car lowers the maximum payout, but doesn't reduce the cost of repairs below that limit. A $1200 car still needs a $250 windshield, just like a brand new car.
Personally, I think of car insurance like catastrophic coverage, not an HMO. Collision and comprehensive get a lot cheaper with a $2500 deductible, then drop those coverages when the car isn't worth them any more.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

For me, insurance is liability only. It's there in case *I* screw up and hit somebody.
In the past year I:
1) was hit from behind, in two separate incidents.
2) hit a deer on a local road.
In each case I took care of the repairs myself.
Jim
please reply to:
Jim, why did you do the rear-ender repairs yourself? Would that not have been the responsibility of the other two drivers, since they rear-ended you?
RJ
Glenn Ashmore says...

The

Because *any* involvement with *any* insurance company puts one on their radar. Does not matter if it was rear-end, all they know is, you had an accident. And that goes on the record.
My buddy at work happened to have the correct rear bumper for my truck, which he got cheap off ebay. It turned out to be the wrong bumper for his (4wd) truck, so I just paid him what he paid for it - fifty bucks - and bolted it on.
Jim
please reply to:
Typical; but why even file the claim? You could pick up some bonyard fenders and hood, throw them on and get Maaco to sqirt it. Way less than 1K. JR Dweller in the cellar
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

All the practical advise that everyone else gave you, except:
The whole salvage title/totaled car thing is mandated by your state, as consumer protection. It does a good job keeping folks from fraudulently selling new cars as totaled, which is a good thing. It _doesn't_ keep folks from buying one and driving it -- my dad has a 2002 Ford that had been thumped in the front. He knows a bit of bodywork (http://www.wescotts.com ) so it's a fine car for him, but it would have been a disaster for a civilian.
I think that after a car is some number of years old they should either discard the whole "salvage" title business -- I mean, I own a '71 Vega. Those came out of the showroom with a repair cost exceeding the value of the car, yet I don't have to have a salvage title on it.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Damn who would ever buy a Vega
Regards
Daveb
DaveB wrote:
snip

Someone crazy, someone stupid -- or someone with a smallblock chevy and no place to put it!
In my case it was a case of the right car at the right time for the right price. It's a station wagon, which IMHO is good looking enough to make up for a lot of sins.
When I was an impressionable 13 years old my across-the-street neighbor had a Vega with a 327 in it. He used to head out to work every morning with a nice impressive screech. Then one morning it was more of a "screech-crunch" -- he hadn't bothered with upgrading to a stronger rearend.
Mine's currently in the middle of an engine transplant -- it'll be getting a 3.4 liter V6, S-10 spindles and the S-10 rear axle, assuming I ever get it done, and assuming that Chevy Performance doesn't discontinue the 3.4 liter S-10 replacement engine program before I'm ready to drop it in.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

That should work...........have fun
Regards
Daveb
How about a '78 Olds Starfire (Monza clone) with a 502 stuffed under the hood? I have most of it done. (Full tube chassis hid under "stock" metalwork. the only real obvious thing are the tires and bolt pattern on the rims) Hid most of the tubing in bodywork, for instance the rockers now hide the outer support tubes and there is a slight bulge in the floor where the new frame rails go through. Still have the exterior bodywork to finish up. Making some IMSA style flares for the wheel wells and a nice rear spoiler.
--
Steve Williams

"Tim Wescott" < snipped-for-privacy@wescottnospamdesign.com> wrote in message
Steve W. wrote:

Definitely more than I'm doing. Should be _very_ impressive when you're done. Do you have pictures?
I'm more interested in going around corners, and the huge engine in front tends to mess with the weight distribution. That, plus a desire to be able to change spark plugs without removing the engine led to the 60-degree V-6 choice.
If I'd _really_ wanted to do the least work I would have found a kit to drop in a smallblock -- I'm sure there are still some around on shelves, even if there aren't any to be had new.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Or drop in a twin turbo Mazda rotary -------