OT AC Parts?

The evaporator coil in one of my Sanyo KS1211 (split system)air conditioners has developed a leak. Where can one obtain replacement evaporator coils, or failing that, any tips on finding and sealing the leak?

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Grainger sells York components.

Evaporators tend to develop myriad pinhole leaks from metal failure, and these leaks are not themselves economically repairable.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

If it's a copper tube core (which I rather doubt, but you never know...) and you can get it out and on the bench where you can work on it, you can try brazing or silver-soldering the leak and see if it holds.

If it is an Aluminum tube core, the best you can hope for is a temporary epoxy repair and start looking for a replacement core. I have to agree with Richard on this one - you might try to solder it up /one time/ and see if it holds (TIG welding would be nifty if you have it), you may get lucky. But it's just as liable to pop a new hole next year, and another the year after...

As always, if the system has leaked to zero and been exposed to air (through the leak) for very long you need to change the filter-drier before evacuating and recharging.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

An interesting link on this topic:

PrecisionMachinisT

Or at least a link for the industry's "it is not our fault" excuses.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Hmnmm.

I wonder if the "causes" identified in this paper might have anything to do with the plague of pinhole corrosion in copper water piping currently being experienced? The conventional wisdom is that it is caused by changes in the water treatment process, but I wonder -- here we have another domestic copper-tubing product showing pinhole corrosion, that is not in contact with domestic water supplies.

I did a bit of research on this topic a couple years ago, when a rental property I owned in DC started showing pinholes less than 8 years after it had been replumbed. What a PITA.

Regards,

Bob

Reply to
Bob Edwards