OT-Academic Opinion Needed

CHICAGO-In a surprising refutation of the conventional wisdom on opinion entitlement, a study conducted by the University of Chicago's School for Behavioral Science concluded that more than one-third of the U.S. population is neither entitled nor qualified to have opinions.

Wow where do i sign up to get my entitlement ?

Anyone have an opinion on the intelectual elite ?

Best Regards

Tom.

Reply to
azotic

That might have been an important story, but this one was long overdue...

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

You know that is exactly why I have quit responding to any questions on electrical wiring on the net. I did it for a few years. The number of responses that are "not qualified to have an opinion" outnumber the correct ones so I gave up. i wonder how many of the machining ones are likewise? :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

A highly refined bravo sierra detector handy to have.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

About damned time!

No Justice, No Peace, No Justice, No Peace!!!

Owwooooooh!!!!

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

I would think it's a matter of one's perspective. Considering my training and years of experience in commercial (manual) machining, I'm of the opinion that much of the advice that is dispensed is questionable----and often defended doggedly by those that think they know (but don't). It's often a case of getting shouted down by the vocal ignorant majority----while good and useful information goes unrecognized.

Like you, I've slowly quit responding----understanding that most folks don't really want to know how to do a job-----they're looking for someone to agree with their cleverness, having coming up with a procedure that may work for them, and they're proud as hell-----and want you to agree with them. Those of us with commercial experience can usually provide far better procedures, but my experience dictates that it's not welcome. All too often, I'm reminded that "this is for a home shop", as if a home shop has a different set of standards than commercial shops. Seems to me that something good is always good----home or on the job.

Just like most guys that can burn a little rod consider themselves a weldor, guys that have made a few chips tend to consider themselves a machinist. Personally, I find it quite insulting, considering the dues I had to pay in achieving my position in life, such as it is.

Nothing would sort these folks out quicker than putting them in a manufacturing environment, without supervision, and handed prints and material. Wouldn't take long for them to come to understand that making chips or burning rod doesn't make you a machinist or a weldor any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos