OT: Access denied when trying to connect to XP Pro from XP Home

"Invenereal" is a word my old pal at work years ago used with regularity. It was quite funny to here Jerry say it around new employees. No offence intended but I thought it fit. Steve

Reply to
its me

??? Windows XP Pro cannot act as a domain controller. You need one of the Server versions for that.

XP Home cannot join a domain. That is one of the major differences between XP Home and XP Pro. But since there's no domain controller the problem lies elsewhere anyway.

Someone has already suggested checking if present turning off firewalling on the ports from which the machine is being accessed. Also turn off Zone Alarm and Norton and any other anti-malware measures until the problem is sorted.

Also need to make sure that the share permissions are such that the account from which one is attempting access actually has access permission.

Reply to
J. Clarke

In the share permissions for the folders, does the "everyone" group have access permission? If not, does the user who is logged in on the Home machine have access permission? If you've activated the guest account, does "guest" have permission?

You also have to set permissions for the account from which it is to be accessed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

Not so:

"Pro" - AKA "NT Workstation" - CAN function as a BDC although not as a PDC.

As a BDC [Backup Domain Controller] it'll think that the workgroup is a Domain that it's nutty enough to attempt to control.

Dream on - any MicroSoft Desktop OS can be a member of a Domain, especially W98SE and later.

The problem lies NOT with the "Home" edition but with the need for at least 1 Domain Controller. ["PRO" can fill that role.]

BTW, I've set up several of these over the past 2 decades.

Reply to
RAM^3

If there is no primary domain controller then how does it get to be a backup domain controller?

Nope. Can _attach_ to one but that is not the same as being a _member_.

Mmm-hmmm. Sure it can.

So let's see, on the one hand we have your word that Windows XP Pro can host a domain and that XP Home can join one. On the other hand we have Microsoft's word that neither is the case.

So, would you care to provide a step by step procedure for setting up XP Pro to host a domain and a step by step procedure for making XP Home join one?

Seems to me that you may have been setting something up for the past two decades but whatever it was does not appear to be what you _think_ it was.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm curious how you would do a domain logon with XP Home. Always willng to learn. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore