OT: Access denied when trying to connect to XP Pro from XP Home

First an apology. I have tried to solve this problem on my own for a couple of months. Searching the Net for solutions. Changing settings until I was blue in the face. Going to the Microsoft site., which was probably the worst route. I hope someone here has had similar problems and was able to fix them.

I have a wireless network setup between an XP Pro and an XP Home computer. I have trouble getting access to certain folders on the Pro PC from the Home PC.

Whenever I try to do this, I get the following message:

?\\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.?

I have literally spent a couple of months trying to get to the bottom of this. I am at my wits end - the XP Pro machine can see and access the XP Home shared folders great, the XP Home machine can see the XP Pro on the network, but can't see certain shared folders, and gives the above error message when trying to access them. What am I doing wrong?

I can see all the folders that I want to share on the Pro PC in "My Network Places" on the Home PC, but not open all of them. The folders that I can open are all in the Administrator's account on the Pro machine. The folders that I cannot open are all in another account.

I have tried to disable Simple File Sharing. That only worked when I tried to access the folders in question from the Administrator account on the Home PC. It again did not work from other accounts on the Home PC. I have tried to enable the Guest Account on the Home machine, but that did not work either.

I am certain that all of this has to do with the way Pro handles security much more rigidly than Home. I just need to figure out how to give the Home PC access to all the folders I want to give it access to.

I would think that enabling sharing of a folder would do it. Obviously not so.

I do hope someone can help me with this one.

Thanks in advance.

Abrasha

Reply to
Abrasha

My Norton anti virus program was preventing my access to a new computer in my network. By changing the settings it works now. Although I know little about networking computers this solved my problem. Steve

Reply to
its me

Are you running any sort of firewall software or Symantec's product? We found it completely broke Windows file sharing, we had to disable everything except antivirus.

GWE

Abrasha wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Abrasha wrote in news:c6SdnbDoZcokqBLeRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You may need to have the "home" machine "re-join" the workgroup "owned" by the "pro" machine: the "pro" machine is acting as a "Domain Controller".

Hopefully, both will be defined as being within the same Domain with File Sharing active on both machines.

Reply to
RAM^3

We thought that, also, until we discovered settings in Norton that allow everything to work properly. "Trust this network" comes to mind.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Which settings did you change?

Abrasha

Abrasha

I just solved this for myself last night. Look at the network connections screen under Settings (Control Panel). For the adapter on the "server" in question, see if it is firewalled. If so, you will not be able to share devices effectively. The "server" will act like it is sharing, other computers can see the shares, but you will not be able to use them from remote computers. Under the Adapter properties, you will find a "firewall" checkbox in the Advanced area. Make sure this is de-selected.

Be aware that if your computer is directly connected to the Internet, you are now exposed. I have a Linksys router between me and the Internet acting as a firewall, so my machines are protected.

Reply to
TheAndroid

Unfortunately, XP is not very "sharing." For example, if you share the entire drive, a remote user many times will only get to the first or second level directories. Probable has to do with the NTFS security. All folders that you directly share should be accessible. Having the same user name/password on both systems will help. Some wireless routers/access points restrict peer-to-peer access but that does not sound like your dilemma. Adding NW/Link IPX SPX protocol can make the peer-to-peer connection more stable than just TCP/IP. Again, this does not effect security. Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

That computer is in the house and I run Trendmicro AV on the rest of my boxes. I will look when I call it quits for the day. Steve

Reply to
its me

Yes. Zone Alarm as my firewall, with both computers in each other's "Trusted Zone", and Norton SystemWorks 2002.

That's not my experience. Only the file (folder) sharing I mentioned in my original post does not work.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Which setting? Where?

Abrasha

Abrasha

I am not on a domain. My computers are on a workgroup.

Abrasha

Abrasha

Reply to
Ron Moore

I have somewhat the same here - but is somewhat working. At my prior employment site - IT forced us into using pro and it nailed us - we had to create user accounts for each remote user - and give the same name - and give them super ability - Admin. It was a real design flaw by MS - I don't think they really have the idea of multi-user, multi-tasking, multi-cpu functional and have a fire wall and routers functional.

Good luck - and keep trying. How are the computers connected ? Router or switch ? I use a wi-fi router and the RF goes to laptop (rover by name) and the shop from here.

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Abrasha wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

ZA has always worked fine for me, as long as I put the correct range of static IPs in the allowed list. example 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.12

Be sure they have the same domain or workgroup name, the proper IPs and you are running the proper shares.

And of course..the proper users

Shrug

Gunner

Gunner Asch

In the Norton main screen, networking, advanced, it will ask for a range of IP adresses to be always trusted and it will detect them for you. In my instance I could see the files but access to them was denied till I changed these settings. Hope this helps and sorry about the slow response but I am swamped with Chistmas orders. Steve

Reply to
its me

You're not saying WHICH Norton program you are using, there are many. It sound like you may be using Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall.

I do not use either of those, I use Zone Alarm. And both computers are in each other's "Trusted Zone". I did not use an IP range like Gunner did, but rather the individual IP's of each computer.

Reply to
Abrasha

It is Norton Internet Security but since you don't use it I guess it is all invenereal isn't it.

Reply to
its me

invenereal??

I don't think that is a real word, is it? In context, does it mean "not worth a f*ck?"

Reply to
xray

According to Pseudodictionary.com the following:

invenereal - Immaterial; beside the point; irrelevant. May be used either with deliberate irony or in complete and utter ignorance.

e.g., It doesn't matter. This whole discussion is invenereal.

Abrasha

Abrasha