OT: ash / soot vac?

Looking for a chimney sweep vac - the real ones that can handle the volume from sweeping a chimney from the top down are $1000+. (The < $200 ones and the HF "ash cleaner attachment" are for cleaning out stoves not chimneys).

This being r.c.m., I figure there are folks out there who clean their own chimneys and have put together something to handle the indoor messy part. Basic idea is a vacuum that will pick up everything from the disconnected indoor smoke pipe while the chimney is brushed from the roof. I could just try it, but would prefer at least a clue of what sort of filter and volume are involved. Any suggestions? thanks

Bob

Reply to
Toolbert

I just ran the brush up and down my chimney with the soot vac I use for cleaning my boiler running at the bottom. My boiler is in the basement so a little dust was not a big deal. The soot vac I bought second hand for about

15 bucks.
Reply to
ATP

I have not put it together yet, but did pick up a blower from a wood shop with a bad three hp motor. I am planning on getting some dust collection hose and rig it to suck up leaves and blow them into a 55 gallon drum. I think it would work for cleaning chimneys if I figure out a way to put a good furnace filter over the exhaust and have the blower, etc outside.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I don't clean chimneys, but I clean out a oil fired boiler or two every so often. At work we have a Dayton, (Grainger) shop vac, kind of a big sucker, 20? gallon, with real pneumatic tires on it. Grainger sell a filter bag that you stuff inside and connect to the tank inlet. all the soot goes inside of the bag and you toss it away. It works great, no dust gets by.

On the cheap, I would go with a Sears 16 gallon shop vac, with a Clean Stream filter in it. The Clean Stream filter is a pretty awesome filter. Greg

Reply to
Greg O