OT Auto Insurance

Last year I bought my daughter a car and put her on my insurance to help her out with college, a student doesn't need to be bogged down with transportation difficulties.

Now she is married and has moved several states away, she sold her car since it would be too much trouble to fly back and drive it across the country, it's do-able but easier to sell here and buy there.

So I called my insurance and told the the car was sold and she's no longer a driver of any vehicle they insure. They took her car off my insurance but listed her as a driver of another vehicle. Seems it's difficult to get her off my insurance since she is under 21, they need some kind of proof that she lives elsewhere.

Just out of curiosity, I got a quote from Geico and their price on equivalent insurance is a little over 1/3 of what I pay for my existing insurance. So if my existing insurance gives me crap about taking my daughter (married and moved away) off my insurance, should I just buy from Geico listing only my spouse and myself and tell my existing insurance to cancel my policy? Are they required by law (Illinois) to keep the child's name on the insurance unless I prove she's moved away?

If my existing insurance is just being difficult, I want to get rid of them. If what they are doing is required by law then I understand their position. Either way, if I can save over 50% on insurance premium it sounds good to me. Any experience with Geico? Any other recommendations where I should get quotes?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Get a copy of her marriage licence and her driver's licence with her married name and residence address.

Reply to
clare

No problems with geico, i have geico since the 1980's.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

I would simply go someplace else

But beware...

In many states, insurance companies are allowed to sell you a policy = that has no personal injury protection, as long as you sign a waiver...( = of course, the rates will appear to be exceptionally great ) but what = this means is that if you get in a wreck and end up in the hospital, = your insurance company isn't going to shell out even a single dime.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

As far as I know there is no requirement in Illinois to even have your children on your auto insurance. I could see where it might be difficult to change while a policy is in effect, but it certainly should be simple at renewal time.

Also check Esurance. When I last checked, they were still cheaper than Geico. I've used them for about ten years, and have always had good service whenever I needed them to do their thing.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman