OT: Bike crash

I would definitely not like to be involved in any kind of wreck like this.

Larry Jaques

And I would not want to drive a eggshell car that could be pierced by a motorcycle, like that.

Just yesterday, we had a big snow fall. We have a very mildly steep road, nothing out of the ordinary. There was a big traffic jam coming to the hill. Turned out that the jam was because many cars could not go up the hill due to poor traction. When I finally passed them (20 minutes), I stopped and offered to pull one of them up the hill (I have a 4 WD pickup), that was blocking road the most.

It was a BMW.

When the thankful driver and I looked underneath trying to find some sort of a hook, we could find nothing. It was all covered by some shiny plastic that was perhaps only 1mm thick.

What a joke car, considering the price and brand. I had to leave without being able to help him.

Ignoramus17480

Lots of cars now have a plastic punchout in the plastic bumper. You remove that, then retreive the screw-in eyehook from the spare tire compartment. My wife's New Beetle is that way. But there's a normal tiedown hook at the rear.

Reply to
Rex B

He and I did not know that... Is that punchout the kindof thing that once you punch it out, you cannot put it back?

Ignoramus17480

This link or another to the same crash was posted to a MC newsgroup I read , that bike was going IIRC approximately 150 mph . *Any* car would be pierced by a bike going that fast .

Reply to
Snag

The best way in a case like this is to go through the windows:

Always good for a chuckle.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

that's a well documented faked up "crash scene", they rebuilt the bike inside the car shell basically, just a hoax

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

Damn. Got any documentation for the "well documented"?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Not usually, no. You may need a small screwdriver to pry it out, but usually it's attached by a plastic "wire" so it doesn't leave the system. So you can easily put it back once the toe-hook is removed.

--Donnie

Reply to
Donnie Barnes

Reply to
RoyJ

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:57:14 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus17480 quickly quoth:

You stopped to help out all the people stuck behind the Beemer driver, right? You wouldn't knowingly help a bloody beemerbonzo, wouldja?

When living in San Diego County in the '90s, I saw two of those nice little Austrian "sports cars" on their roofs on the same stretch of highway (a mild 3° hill on a 10° curve to the right) within a year's time. Series 5, I believe. How does one ROLL a (self-professed) sports car on a fairly flat road?!?

--------------------------------------------------------------- Never put off 'til tomorrow |

what you can avoid altogether. | Dynamic Website Applications

Larry Jaques

Yeah, I was sure it was going over 100 MPH. You can see on the entry side where part of the bike (engine, I'd guess) cut completely through the floor member right under the door. This is one of the strongest points on most car bodies. When two mid-size cars crash in a Tee-bone configuration, the floor channel usually holds, although it may get shoves WAY inward. This one is only slightly crumpled, but cut through. That shows a really high speed impact.

The driver of the bike is probably lucky he was killed (no need to ask, it seems obvious) the Swedes would have hung him for driving like that. Probably life in prison for murder.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I live in Las Vegas. About 100 miles south of us near Laughlin a few years ago, a motorcycle t boned a car so bad it caused the car to roll.

Of course, it could have been a light top heavy car and a heavy motorcycle. And the angle could have been such that it wasn't that odd of an event in physics.

The thought was quite scary, though, and the bike rider was 419 at the scene.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Gerald Miller" wrote

In Nevada now, a letter is issued to all holders of handicapped plates and placards. The letter must be in the vehicle using the plate or placard WITH THE DESIGNATED HANDICAPPED INDIVIDUAL (who may be a licensed operator or passenger), or a citation is issued. No more taking someone else's car with plates or placard and getting privileged parking.

And rightly so. Fines start at $100, and depending on jurisdiction and location go up to $250.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Well documented _where_?

Reply to
J. Clarke

post - even

The set of alternatives to "top posting" is not {"bottom posting"[2]}, it is {"inline posting"[1], "bottom posting"}.

I haven't seen anyone here advocating "bottom posting": the full inclusion of quoted text with the reply tacked on the end. To say that some of us do so is to introduce a straw man argument on top of a false dilemma argument. When someone says colloquially 'bottom posting' it usually means that the quoted text is trimmed and perhaps paraphrased and the reply to the trimmed quote is provided after the quote, not before it. If there is only one point to be made, then there will be one quote and one reply at the end, hence the minor form of bottom posting. Just like I have done in this article by trimming your [*'s] post down to a manageable size and format. Notice the quoted text can be reduced to just one sentence on two lines.

If I have to read more than a page of quoted material, it better be highly relevant to the significant comment afterwards. Seldom does it justify scrolling further down, so if I read a page of just quoted text, I often mark it Read and automatically load the next article. Persistent offenders populate my killfiles.

I view 'top posting' with full inclusion of quoted text below it to be annoying too, since it looks like you are lazy and couldn't trim down to the relevant part of the posting your are responding to, and thereby force the reader to work out if you have responded to none, some or all of the issues in the original posting. I also find myself having to scroll down to the end of the article to see if there is some other point that you have made further down the article, somewhere inside the quoted text, or perhaps scroll through multiple on-screen pages of quoted material. IMHO if you *have* to 'top post' you should be trimming and paraphrasing your appended quoted material just as much as you need to for 'inline posting'. Keeping the whole article (reply and quote) to a page or less onscreen really speeds up the browsing of large numbers of articles for me.

Three issues that haven't seem to be answered yet by the advocates of "top posting":

1) Arranging the reply to a posting where multiple issues need to be commented on without interleaving quote and replies[3], and 2) Arranging the reply where you need to comment on more than one previous poster's articles[4] 2) Helping a reader understand the article if they have not already read and understood the thread that the top poster is responding to. This can arise if a reply comes days after the original posting or the propagation variance of Usenet has meant that a reply has arrived before an original posting.

Bill Lee

[On topic comment]: I was wondering which part of the bike had cut the underbody door frame: was it the cylinder head?

NOTES: [1] Larry J. calls this "interstitial" posting [2] Bottom posting is defined here to be the full inclusion of a article text that is being responded to with the writer adding his/her comments at the end of this quoted text. [3] Especially with replies dealing with subtle nuances of language, where often you have to break up a sentence to quote on this phrase, and add your comment on this quoted phrase. [4] Often done to compare and contrast two or more previous posters arguments.

Reply to
Bill Lee

Some kids here flattened all the tires of an entire schoolbus fleet by unscrewing the cap, insert BB, replace cap. Hissssssss

Reply to
daniel peterman

The same way you put a nice 4WD in the ditch with a mere 1/2" of snow on the road... Ignorance and/or lack of attention to what's going on.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

"Larry Jaques" wrote

I used to work at a major Las Vegas Strip hotel for about 12 years as a valet parking attendant. We would get Californians who were used to paying $4 an hour for parking who wouldn't cough a dime during a weekend stay. On Sunday, when they were leaving, we would loosen a valve stem on the car, and the one in the trunk.

Pull them up, load them up, get stiffed again. And send them on their way knowing that somewhere out there they would have a flat. And then the spare would be flat, too. A towtruck would then get more money than they would have tipped us in a weekend.

Payback is a bitch.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

RTFM

That is meant for the owner of that car, not you :)

Abrasha

Abrasha