OT: blind Texas hunters with laser sites

I'll just let the subject line speak for itself.

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Let me guess. Guide hunter is with them?

Okay, now reading the link.....

Yup, guide hunter. So what is your problem?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 09:37:43 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com quickly quoth:

"...a guide hunter at least 13 years of age."

When's the last time you saw a hunter listen to the advice of another hunter? The pride factor overrules them more often than not. Hunting is dangerous enough (friendly fire) without the blind out there, Wes. Trading the safety of all the rest of the hunters and anyone within distance for the pleasure of maybe a dozen blind bubbas? I don't think so.

-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's bad enough around here when hunting season opens and camoed flatlanders are loading up on booze at the market. Blind drunk hunters are a bad joke. Legally blind hunters who want to kill something should just take an Uzi to the nearest ghetto.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

As I read other stories about the situation, Texas didn't prohibit legally blind hunters from hunting in the first place. The laser sight simply allows the guide to 'see' what the shooter is aiming at. Currently lasers are not legal for use in hunting in Texas.

Legally blind doesn't mean the pitch black darkness of Hellen Keller. There are functioning legally blind people that still use their eyes though with a greater amount of difficulty than you and I.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

So legally blind hunters are automatically drunks? Where do you come up with that conclusion? You are responding in typical knee jerk reaction to the stories that were written with such a response as their hopefull outcome.

Normally, the press is all for eliminating barriers to the handicaped except in the case of guns.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

RIght you are!

My b-in-l is legally blind, has deteriorating retinas, but still manages to goose and deer hunt every year for all that he can't drive anymore. Legally blind doesn't necessarily mean black glasses and a white cane. You other guys better get your heads out of your asses. We NEED all the hunters we can get these days. If some are handicapped, all the better, it shows it's not an "elitist"sport.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:00:10 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com quickly quoth:

I'm thinking the laser makes things better, but I'd be happier with no blind people shooting guns out in the open anywhere and am still glad I don't live in Texas.

At nighttime, close one eye, put a stocking over your head, turn out the lights (leaving on one night light in the house), and squint with the other eye. Now, do you feel confident in shooting with that reduced level and range of vision? Folks who are legally blind can't make out the -top- line on the eye chart, Wes. How can they shoot clearly and safely?

-- The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease. --Voltaire (1694-1778)

--

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actully..most of em. And anyone going into the field with me quickly finds out that unless they have a shitload more field time than I do...its NOT a democracy and Im King Frog.

Gunner

Fred Thompson and Condi Rice in '08!!!

Reply to
Gunner

I REALLY like the way this man thinks!

Gunner

Fred Thompson and Condi Rice in '08!!!

Reply to
Gunner

Looks like he's taking his stereotyping cues from TV and Hollywood. DON"T YOU DARE do it to blacks/hispanics/gays. etc., but white male hunters? A-OK.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mulhollan