OT: Break-in update + video DVR system

No break-ins for 2 weeks ! The Cleveland Police have a team in here over the weekends so, of course the thieves didn't show. Quick recap: Total @

20k$ lost or damaged, ADT system isn't great but it could be if I pony-up some $, I have 3 PIRs that are blind if it's hot in here and one dual-tech that is too sensitive (cat), armed guards are through here every few hours - they punch my clock, they are good guys, x-cops, and not in league, and after an alarm hit they are here in 10 minutes.

I've gotten quotes from a few security companies and they average 2.5k$ for not much more than what I have. A few of you have suggested video and I'm looking at some really cool technology! Let's say I have a budget of

Reply to
Tom Gardner

So when the heat is on, they stay away. I still say its an inside job.

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Did you tell your guards about involving the police? Were they aware of police presence?

Ignoramus4384

Sounds like an inside job, hey?

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

I also suspect so. They should not be difficult to trap, they seem to be stupid people.

Ignoramus4384

NO...The average age of my people is 50. The police tell me it's common in the neighborhood with the same MO and they have a good idea the characters involved, they just have to catch them.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

IT'S NOT AN INSIDE JOB!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

But all the data you post makes it sound like it is.

-as soon as there is a stakeout, they stop.

-They seem to know exactly where to the sensors are located.

-They always manage to disappear before the armed guards arrive.

I'm just looking at data....

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Or they can smell doughnuts and stay away?

If they're good they can probably see the stakeout, particularly if they've got someone watching things during the day.

Have you considered inviting the police to stay inside at night, or hiring a night watchman?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

The 2 man team camped out in the back office all weekend. They had hidden cameras in and outside the plant. They really want these guys...it would solve a big problem for them in this neighborhood.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Well, I have mostly women in their 50's, babysitting their grandchildren on weekends. The few younger guys I have would know to take different stuff. Everybody else is too fat! Everybody knows I have an envelope on my desk with a couple hundred bucks in it for petty cash. it's never been taken. One of the armed guards recognized a guy in here that he surprised, a known criminal, the guy out ran him through a hole in the wall and the guard wasn't going to follow him through the hole, I don't blame him! They know where the sensors are because they have tripped them often enough and there is a red light on them. They don't hit every weekend so the cops say they will be patient. Just trust me, it's not an inside job.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Even to talk?

I've been watching this break-in threads all the time. I guess I understand how you feel. :-(

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Hello Tom this is what i have in my shop

Its a stand alone dvr it only records when motion is detected you can also watch you shop over the internet. Very easy to instal When the harddrive is full after about a week it starts recording from the begaining again. If you put this in don't tell any one hide the cameras and the dvr and forgt about it until the next break in.A cop told me that 85% of the break ins the victim knows the crook.

Reply to
tim

I grew up in a skuzzy little town on the Hudson, Newburgh, NY. Corrupt as Hell; from the City Councilmen and Mayor who owned the slums and fought development (would raise their taxes) until they could sell the property to the public housing authority in a self dealing sweetheart deal (just in case anyone ever wondered who put all those public housing projects right on the Hudson) down to the supervisors who used city workers to fix their rental properties.

Anyway, back in the early 70s there was a real problem with late night break-ins at the Sears store in the Mall. Newburgh Police simply could not catch em. The break-ins went on until the NY BCI and the FBI carted off just about 1/2 of the 75 man police force. It happens and I would not discount the likelihood in this case.

Needless to say, growing up in Newburgh has caused me to view why people seek positions of authority with great skepticism. And the last 30 years have revealed little to change that.

Regards, Dewey

Reply to
???

Yep. A certain educational institution in Upstate NY was losing the football receipts over the weekend to the tune of $6000 per weekend - the culprits turned out to be two of the campus police (who were all deputy sheriffs in the county...).

They were nabbed by very secretive camera installation.

Hell, it's quite possible that Tom's thieves are getting the low-down on what Tom's up to from reading this newsgroup. Hate to say it, but perhaps you ought to spare us the details until AFTER the thieves are caught. Not all of them are too dumb to use the internet. Loose lips sink ships...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

You've lost $20k and haven't turned it into the insurance and you complain about a few bucks to the alarm company to stop it? (Hmmm, is that cod or halibut? _Sumpin's_ fishy here.)

Suggestion: Remove the cat forever/until perps are caught. And go with alternative PIRs (ultrasonic/radar, etc) so what you have there will actually work. I learned about the PIR's lack of sensitivity during the summers in LoCal the hard way: after a burglary. But the alarm company notified the cops who caught the perps both times.

Good idea, at least until the perps are caught, since there is a slight possibility it's one of your workers. You might also keep it secret from the cops and alarm company for the time being. THEN lay the whole trip on the workers and ask if they mind possibly making more money as a result.

Darn, we were all just gonna ask for the MPGs if you had good looking wimmenz in there.

Surveillance is a real moneymaker for lots of folks. DO shop around. It can save you a grand on this system.

For the place you hope to see the perp's face (fridge?), go with a top-of-the-line color cam. Add extra lighting (or a motion detector in that place and have it trigger extra lighting on the perp's face) so you get a good shot for the cops. For other cams, B/W is probably OK.

Try talking with some -more- alarm guys. I followed the comp.home.automation NG for awhile and Robert Bass seemed to be a good source of info and decent pricing. He has a few online alarm companies really pissed at him for some reason, too. (Lower prices for one thing.)

You're right to do good research before purchasing. Keep us informed, por favor.

And send GIFs of the cuffed perps! (Only if you decide against the vaporizing laser protection system I suggested. It wouldn't leave any trace. ;)

- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Might be an employee's child or son in law, etc.

Reply to
Nick Hull

It's a little at a time say 1.5k per break-in. Insurance company will dump me, double the 20k$ per year I'm at now or both. Can you imagine making 15 claims in 6 months?

That's why I think the DVR system with defineable alarm triggering areas would do the trick and be cat proof.

You betcha!

AAAHHHHHHH!!! Eeeeeuuuu!

The way to get rid of unwanted biological waste is with a big-ass sand blaster, the kind used to cut gravestones. ...nothing but dust in the hopper.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom: You might also take the time to go in when no one else is in the shop and point over the sensor activation lights...ie no way to tell visually if it's on or not.

Craig C. cvairwerks@ev1,net

Reply to
cvairwerks

GREAT POINT!!!