OT: Break-in update + video DVR system

No break-ins for 2 weeks ! The Cleveland Police have a team in here over the weekends so, of course the thieves didn't show. Quick recap: Total @
20k$ lost or damaged, ADT system isn't great but it could be if I pony-up some $, I have 3 PIRs that are blind if it's hot in here and one dual-tech that is too sensitive (cat), armed guards are through here every few hours - they punch my clock, they are good guys, x-cops, and not in league, and after an alarm hit they are here in 10 minutes.
I've gotten quotes from a few security companies and they average 2.5k$ for not much more than what I have. A few of you have suggested video and I'm looking at some really cool technology! Let's say I have a budget of <2.5k$. I'm thinking of a DVR card with at least 8 cameras on an unused AMD 2200 box with a 500gb hd hanging on the network. Some of the software will detect movement, record the event, drop an alarm on an ADT zone and e-mail me and other stuff if I want. Let's assume this will help my security situation. The other BIG benefit I see is I can record every employee working every day! OK, it's "Big Brother" but I see HUGE advantages from pinpointing production difficulties, injury records and job training. I know some of you will scream bloody murder but If I improve efficiencies, my employees get more money, lives are saved and wars are averted!!! Many years ago I took an old, non-working video camera with a welding rod stuck in the cable port and mounted it in the woodworking department. In one day, production doubled and three big-wigs from the Steel-Workers Union stormed my office and declared I was "invading peoples privacy" I laughed and asked them to cite any law. They left in a huff!
However, I'm thinking of not telling anybody and saying that the cameras are part of the alarm system upgrade and only using the capture for my uses. No, I'm not putting cameras in the bathrooms.
So, I see cards from Geo-vision, http://www.worldeyecam.com/gv_800_dvr_card.htm ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&itemW99509608&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 and a plethora of stuff on the web, big price swings! The more I see, the more I don't know. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of stuff? Then there's cameras...another black hole.
If I'm going to spend a few bucks I don't want crap or problems, I want to make a good investment but I don't want to overspend either. I think you have a good idea what I want.

So when the heat is on, they stay away. I still say its an inside job.

NO...The average age of my people is 50. The police tell me it's common in the neighborhood with the same MO and they have a good idea the characters involved, they just have to catch them.

Might be an employee's child or son in law, etc.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Chuck Sherwood wrote:

Or they can smell doughnuts and stay away?
If they're good they can probably see the stakeout, particularly if they've got someone watching things during the day.
Have you considered inviting the police to stay inside at night, or hiring a night watchman?
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

The 2 man team camped out in the back office all weekend. They had hidden cameras in and outside the plant. They really want these guys...it would solve a big problem for them in this neighborhood.

Did you tell your guards about involving the police? Were they aware of police presence?

Sounds like an inside job, hey?

I also suspect so. They should not be difficult to trap, they seem to be stupid people.

IT'S NOT AN INSIDE JOB!!!

But all the data you post makes it sound like it is. -as soon as there is a stakeout, they stop. -They seem to know exactly where to the sensors are located. -They always manage to disappear before the armed guards arrive.
I'm just looking at data....

Well, I have mostly women in their 50's, babysitting their grandchildren on weekends. The few younger guys I have would know to take different stuff. Everybody else is too fat! Everybody knows I have an envelope on my desk with a couple hundred bucks in it for petty cash. it's never been taken. One of the armed guards recognized a guy in here that he surprised, a known criminal, the guy out ran him through a hole in the wall and the guard wasn't going to follow him through the hole, I don't blame him! They know where the sensors are because they have tripped them often enough and there is a red light on them. They don't hit every weekend so the cops say they will be patient. Just trust me, it's not an inside job.

Even to talk?
I've been watching this break-in threads all the time. I guess I understand how you feel. :-(
Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
<http://www.motor-manufaktur.de>

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:26:36 GMT, the opaque "Tom Gardner"

You've lost $20k and haven't turned it into the insurance and you complain about a few bucks to the alarm company to stop it? (Hmmm, is that cod or halibut? _Sumpin's_ fishy here.)

Suggestion: Remove the cat forever/until perps are caught. And go with alternative PIRs (ultrasonic/radar, etc) so what you have there will actually work. I learned about the PIR's lack of sensitivity during the summers in LoCal the hard way: after a burglary. But the alarm company notified the cops who caught the perps both times.

Make sure that computer is well hidden AND contained so they can't steal it, too. :-/

Good idea, at least until the perps are caught, since there is a slight possibility it's one of your workers. You might also keep it secret from the cops and alarm company for the time being. THEN lay the whole trip on the workers and ask if they mind possibly making more money as a result.

Darn, we were all just gonna ask for the MPGs if you had good looking wimmenz in there. <bseg>

Surveillance is a real moneymaker for lots of folks. DO shop around. It can save you a grand on this system.
For the place you hope to see the perp's face (fridge?), go with a top-of-the-line color cam. Add extra lighting (or a motion detector in that place and have it trigger extra lighting on the perp's face) so you get a good shot for the cops. For other cams, B/W is probably OK.

Try talking with some -more- alarm guys. I followed the comp.home.automation NG for awhile and Robert Bass seemed to be a good source of info and decent pricing. He has a few online alarm companies really pissed at him for some reason, too. (Lower prices for one thing.) http://www.bassburglaralarms.com
http://www.supercircuits.com / www.homecontrols.com www.worthdist.com
You're right to do good research before purchasing. Keep us informed, por favor.
And send GIFs of the cuffed perps! (Only if you decide against the vaporizing laser protection system I suggested. It wouldn't leave any trace. ;)
- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

It's a little at a time say 1.5k per break-in. Insurance company will dump me, double the 20k$ per year I'm at now or both. Can you imagine making 15 claims in 6 months?

That's why I think the DVR system with defineable alarm triggering areas would do the trick and be cat proof.

You betcha!

AAAHHHHHHH!!! Eeeeeuuuu!

The way to get rid of unwanted biological waste is with a big-ass sand blaster, the kind used to cut gravestones. ...nothing but dust in the hopper.

Tom: You might also take the time to go in when no one else is in the shop and point over the sensor activation lights...ie no way to tell visually if it's on or not.
Craig C. cvairwerks@ev1,net
GREAT POINT!!!